Celebrity Rehab Over – Dr. Drew Tired Of ‘Taking The Heat’ For Deaths

May 05, 2013 09:06 AM by Lisa Princ

You read that right, Dr. Drew has officially checked out of the rehab! There will be no new season of Celebrity Rehab With Dr. Drew, Pinsky revealed in a new interview. Since the show has aired, five former cast members have died, including Mindy McCready and Rodney King, and Dr. Drew is tired of “taking the heat” for the deaths!

Despite his best efforts to help struggling celebrities, Dr. Drew Pinsky has had his fill of taking the blame every time someone who has appeared on the show passes away. “I don’t have plans to do that again. I’m tired of taking all the heat. It’s just ridiculous,” Pinsky said in a recent radio interview when asked about doing another season of Celebrity Rehab.

Dr. Drew went on to explain that it has taken its toll on him: “It’s very stressful and very intense for me. To have people questioning my motives and taking aim at me because people get sick and die because they have a life-threatening disease, and I take the blame? Rodney King has a heart attack and I take blame for that?”

While Pinsky is saddened that he will no longer be doing Celebrity Rehab, we certainly can’t blame him for checking out. The show was meant to help people, but after the most recent death of former cast member, Mindy McCready, critics began to slam Dr. Drew as someone who was simply exploiting troubled celebrities for his personal gain.

What do you think about Celebrity Rehab coming to an end? Did you feel that the show really helped troubled celebrities, or hurt them? We know you have an opinion and we want to hear it. Comment below to share your thoughts with us!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook!. Click here for more information on Reality TV. For other great reality TV news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: Reality TV.

Photo Credit: WENN

Topics: Celebrity Rehab With Dr. Drew, VH1 Reality TV Shows |

12 Responses to “Celebrity Rehab Over – Dr. Drew Tired Of ‘Taking The Heat’ For Deaths”

1. anna Says:
    May 5th, 2013 at 9:17 am

We cannot blame Dr. Drew for the death’s of these people,they made their own choices.My ex died of his abuse, and you can’t blame anyone but him.Im sorry Dr. Drew I liked your show.There are ignorant people everywhere.

2. RoseBudK Says:
    May 5th, 2013 at 9:34 am

I think Drew’s expertise could be used so much more wisely. It’s not so much that the show was bad for the celebrities. However, they were vulnerable due to their addictions. Yes, it was their choice to do the show. And, they most likely did the show for the money. BUT, they were vulnerable and I doubt they knew how much the full exposure of their lives would be so hung out to dry.

Drew could use his powerful influence to discuss the effects of ALL REALITY SHOWS. Many reality show participants have died. He could do research on this and the effects it has on those who participate and those who watch. I do not see what good can come from any of these shows.

3. RoseBudK Says:
    May 5th, 2013 at 9:38 am

Drew’s role even on HLN has been ridiculous. He takes a stance that is generally biased. He says with conviction what he is told by whatever network he is working for…So, yes, I do think it’s time for him to start thinking about utilizing his talent in a way that will help us get back to more appropriate T.V. viewing, that which will help more than hurt.

That’s why he’s leaving. He knows what he has been doing hasn’t been helping society be mentally healthy, but it’s been helping to create an even more dysfunctional society. Good for him for knowing when to “fold em”.

4. marcy Says:
    May 5th, 2013 at 10:03 am

I love Dr. Drew, he simply wanted to help these people overcome their addictions. Since the public idolized them, maybe if they got their life together, their drug addicted fans would do the same. The celebrities that died would have done so sooner had it not been for Drew. People own up to your mistakes, when has overdoing drugs and alcohol been good for anyone.

5. Karen Says:
    May 5th, 2013 at 10:05 am

I think you could have given credit for this information, instead of “some radio show”, you heard a very compelling interview on Sirius 100 – Howard Stern. My view – he tried to help, he got blamed – its his option to stop, and too bad for others who might have benefitted from his help.

6. Mari Vega Says:
    May 5th, 2013 at 10:47 am

Wow, so if the patient of a private rehab center or psychiatrist commits suicide they should leave the practice or close up shop? Let’s not be ignorant and naive, whether celebrity or common person, people make these decisions themselves.

Dr. Drew, for whom I have a great deal of respect, did what he could to help these people get on the right track towards sobriety. He never said he had a sure fire cure or that he was a miracle worker.
    He always said it wasn’t an easy road and there was going to be a lot of hard work during their stay and after they left.

If the people who were on the show didn’t take his advice and recommendations, how is tat Dr. Drew’s fault. People have got to take responsibility for their own actions.

Good Luck in whatever comes next Dr. Drew

7. LC Says:
    May 5th, 2013 at 10:56 am

Reality or scripted, I saw hurting and sick people getting the help they needed. I saw Dr Drew and his staff not wanting to give up on anyone, even when they were verbally abusive to him and his staff. Yes these people did the show because they needed money. That is what motivates us all to do a ‘job’, right? Why should that be held against them?

I wish that I could get my son into Dr Drew’s program. He’s been battling his demons for years. I saw the good that came out of the rehab for many, and because of this show I was allowed to see inside my son’s world a just a little. Each case is different.

8. Bridgette Says:
    May 5th, 2013 at 11:07 am

Im married to a physician, and I thought he was an internist? Or is he boarded in addiction medicine ? I just think he sold out to Hollywood instead of practicing internal medicine. Years ago I believe he was a sex doctor on tv. He seemed to sell himself out to Hollywood. Not a fan.

9. Sandra Steele Says:
    May 5th, 2013 at 11:18 am

I for one will be sorry to see the program go. If you are going to blame Dr. Drew for their subsequent deaths that you also need to blame the other rehab programs that failed in the effort to help these people turn their lives around. Addicts surround themselves with like minded people and when they are sick and tired of being sick and tired then and only then will they break the cycle of abuse. It would be nice if they broke they cycle before its to late but in more cases than not it is too late. Put the blame where it belongs…with the person that makes the choice to use…THE ADDICT!

10. Bababooey Says:
    May 5th, 2013 at 11:34 am

Why not give proper credit to Howard Stern, he conducted a great interview with Dr. Drew.

11. Gomabtreats Says:
    May 5th, 2013 at 12:35 pm

No it’s not Dr. Drew’s fault and with all of his heart he did do the best he can to help the stars of former glory. The main thing is they got to want to help themselves and how is it his fault when they go back to society with tools to help them, they choose to do the opposite that may kill them? Put the blame where it belongs which is on the celebrity themselves not Dr. Drew. They gotta want to stop and they choose not to point blank.

12. Rose Russell Lowe Says:
    September 29th, 2013 at 2:24 pm

I personally LOVE Dr. Drew. I kid with my hubby ALL the time he IS the ONE man I would leave him for!! He did his VERY best to help not just the celebrities on Rehab but also the REGULAR people with addiction issues. He NEVER told ANY of them it would be EASY in fact he told them the OPPISITE that it would be a LONG HARD ROAD to recovery but they COULD do it if they applied themselves. I have nothing but praise for Dr. Drew!!! I REALLY miss his show but most of all I MISS HIM!!!!!

Comments