The Voice Shocker: Did Shakira Make The Wrong Decision Last Night?

May 09, 2013 07:31 AM by Lisa Princ

If you happened to miss The Voice this week, four of the talented artists were let go after America had their say. With the mentors having to make the final saves (and cuts) last night, fans seem to be torn about Shakira’s choice for elimination. Did she make a big mistake?

Last night on The Voice, the top 12 of the season were revealed after America had the chance to vote – sort of. The top two contestants automatically advanced from each team, and then the coaches had to choose the final person that they would save, while sending the other one of their team members home.

On team Adam Levine, it was Amber Carrington and Judith Hill who were the top two, followed by Adam saving Sarah Simmons over Caroline Glasser. For team Blake, Danielle Bradbery and Holly Tucker were deemed safe from the start, and Blake chose to save The Swon Brothers over Justin Rivers. However, Blake also exchanged phone numbers with Justin and promised to call him. Michelle Chamuel and Vedo were voted in on team Usher, and he then decided to keep Josiah Hawley over Cathia.

But the biggest shocker of the night came from team Shakira. When America voted in Sasha Allen and Kris Thomas, Shakira was left with the massive task of choosing between Garrett Gardner and Karina Iglesias. If you remember, Shakira could not stop beating herself up after she did not choose Karina during the blind auditions, but then stole Karina after her epic battle with Judith Hill. After praying about it, Shakira decided that she would save Garrett because she felt she could help him “grow even more” as an artist.

However, fans seem to be torn about Shakira’s decision, because Karina was such a powerhouse vocalist. Do you think that Shakira made the right decision last night? Comment below and share your thoughts with us!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook! Click here for more information about The Voice. For other great Reality TV News, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: The Voice.

Photo Credit: NBC

Topics: NBC Reality TV Shows, The Voice |

22 Responses to “The Voice Shocker: Did Shakira Make The Wrong Decision Last Night?”

1. New Yrok Says:
    May 9th, 2013 at 7:45 am

Bad decision for sure…. Although Garrett is talented this is singing competition not teaching seminar. karina is by far better singer

2. Ange Says:
    May 9th, 2013 at 8:23 am

Yes she made a big mistake, karina was much better than Garrett . It is clear the ambiguity in her character. One thing is what she says and other is what she does like her relatives in Colombia living in total poverty and she portraying herself as a humanitarian.

3. brenda canada Says:
    May 9th, 2013 at 8:35 am

PLEASE tell me that Blake has a plan for Justin-he really is talented and deserves a shot.Blake has the connections to help!

4. Coach Auel Says:
    May 9th, 2013 at 8:43 am

Not sure what her “thing” is for this kid. He should have been gone after the battle rounds. Not a bad singer, but not anywhere near the talent of Karina. Also can’t believe Usher took Josiah Hawley over Cathia.

5. Jan Booker Says:
    May 9th, 2013 at 9:23 am

No….Shikira did not make a mistake. Garrett has so much talent and room to grow . I truly believe Shikira gave a lot of thought to this and wants to mentor this young man. Karina is Fabulous but she is older. It needed to happen for her a few years earlier. Think about it…..Karina is Latino ( like Shakira ) she put thought and prayer in her decision.

6. Ovas Says:
    May 9th, 2013 at 9:41 am

I hoped Shakira would choose Garrett over Karina. I believe there is very little room for Karina to grow whereas Garret has a greater range in artistic ability.

7. New Hampshire Says:
    May 9th, 2013 at 10:28 am

Garrett needs work…Karina is already loaded with talent…I thought as a JUDGE…Shakira wanted to win…Karina should have been her pick!
    What were you afraid of, Shakira???

8. Tom M. Says:
    May 9th, 2013 at 10:31 am

She made the right decision. I think Garrett is much more versatile. More importantly, he gave a better performance than Karina did, during the playoff round.

9. ag Says:
    May 9th, 2013 at 11:18 am

Of course she make a mistake. Karina is so much more of a better singer than Garrett could ever be.
    and what she said about being able to help Garrett more than Karina because she is a powerhouse singer, what does that really mean-other than a stupid remark. As I see it this is a singing competition and there should not be any coach showing to favor one singerover another, but it appears that what Shakira did. I did not see the other coaches giving up on thier powerhouse singer.
    Not that she would care but Shakira really disappointed me and the show has lost a viewer.

10. Dr. Bit Says:
    May 9th, 2013 at 2:05 pm

One mistake too many! In my humble opinion Shakira’s biggest mistake was to let go the beautiful and powerful Monique Abbadie. After that atrocity anything goes. She is proving to be inconsistent in her judgment and uneasy in her role; too bad because I like her music a lot.

11. Maggie Says:
    May 9th, 2013 at 2:10 pm

She made the right decision. I think Karina had a big voice, but came across as a screamer at times. I watched her in her group performance and she was the one voice that did not blend with the rest of the group and her harmony was sharp and too loud. I wasn’t crazy about the young man Garrett either, but of the two, I would think he would be more marketable at least to the teeny bopper crowd.

12. Lilly Dodd Says:
    May 9th, 2013 at 9:59 pm

She made the right decision. What I can’t figure out is how in the world Sasha Allen was voted through. OY! :)

13. LENU Says:
    May 9th, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Of course Shakira made a mistake!!! What is it with her and this kid that is very cute but he he didn’t win his first battle round with Jason (I think that was the young black singer with the incredible voice’s name) And now, she picks him over Karina, who was awesome singing that Al Greene song. I THOUGHT THE SHOW IN NAMED “THE VOICE”, NOT THE “CUTEST BOY WHO PLAYS A GUITAR”! I was extremely disappointed and she deserves to lose, if she’s going to make decisions like this. I was shocked! She’s passed on two monster voices for this cute little boy. Amazing!

14. LENU Says:
    May 9th, 2013 at 11:08 pm

Oops…It’s not Jason…it’s J’Sun! J’Sun was clearly the winner of his knockout round with Garrett!

15. Carla Says:
    May 9th, 2013 at 11:30 pm

She made a horrible mistake. The problem is she is a new judge. At this point in the COMPETITION she needs to be strategic and not worry about mentoring. If she wants to win then she needs the best especially to beat Adams team who appears to be the strongest in my opinion. Garret has potential but is no dark horse. there is no way he can be the others on the other teams. Shakira has to switch gears now and stop thinking she is helping this poor boy. What’s happening is she chose someone who did a less than great job on his performance (I actually said right after his performance that he’s going home because I thought it sucked) when Karina did a fantastic job and who cares about her age…. I would buy her album. I go by their music and not their age or what they look like. That’s just dumb, INOP.

16. ashley Says:
    May 10th, 2013 at 1:07 am

I think she made a bad choice by letting her go. I think karina could have pulled through and won the show. but I guess we will see if he is the right choice or not

17. Deborah in Cali Says:
    May 10th, 2013 at 4:49 am

What an awful decision! Garrett is not in the league of the other final contestants. He should not have even made it past auditions, in my opinion. He is only on the show because each week Shakira chooses him, no matter who he is up against. The other two on her team should feel really uncomfortable now. The reasons that she has said she chose him time and again do not make sense for THE VOICE. I think that if she wants to help Garrett grow or learn, she should arrange to mentor him with private lessons on her own time. But to do what she is doing now takes away from the integrity of THE VOICE.

18. lu Says:
    May 10th, 2013 at 9:22 am

What an awful decision! He is only on the show because each week Shakira chooses him, no matter who he is up against. The other two on her team should feel really uncomfortable now. The reasons that she has said she chose him time and again do not make sense for THE VOICE. I think that if she wants to help Garrett grow or learn, she should arrange to mentor him with private lessons on her own time. But to do what she is doing now takes away from the integrity of THE VOICE. Shakira the Voice is a singing competition,you keep your best which reflects on how well you managed her growth as a powerhouse. You took away her chance of a lifetime. The paper bag did not amuse anyone. You could make amends and bring her back. Karina deserves your apologies and to be brought back on the Voice . It is time to make amends, time to fight for her. She was dealt the wrong decision. Saying that Karina is already a powerhouse and is already better then turn around and let her go. How do you feel after choosing those words to reject Karina. America is ashamed. Are you ashamed of yourself?

19. lu Says:
    May 10th, 2013 at 9:55 am

20. Mems Says:
    May 10th, 2013 at 1:31 pm

I think Shakira didn’t expect to choose between Karina and Garret. And for her to pick Garret over Karina, I don’t think she expects to win the Voice at all – I don’t mean that as a criticism. I think she just wants to mentor voices. Karina is a music teacher of sorts after all. And with Karina’s name already known to the public because of the voice, she will be fine. Garrett’s voice is lacking, but Shakira wants to mentor him. Coaches play favorites. It’s expected.

Anyway, even though I am so happy Garrett is till in the voice, Karina would have been the better choice. lol

21. Mabb Says:
    May 13th, 2013 at 5:55 am

It wasn’t the first time she saved him. The last round she said something to the extend that’ she has a soft spot for him. Wrong decision, Karina sang her heart out, a class above him and deserves to stay in the competition. It is a competition not a classroom.

22. annie feckler Says:
    May 14th, 2013 at 6:53 am

I liked Karina and thought Shakira would do well with her. She is different from the country and blues girls.
    There is something about Garrett that turns me off. One thing is that ring on his mouth that distracts me on close-ups. It looks painful. I don’t think he will last long enough for Shakira to help him get better.

Comments