Is Shakira Leaving The Voice After Season Four?

May 14, 2013 12:15 PM by Stephanie Gustafson

Shakira was never intended as a permanent replacement for Christina Aguilera on hit reality competition The Voice, but some fans of the new judge were secretly hoping that she would stay on for at least one more season. But with a new kid and plans for the recording studio, it looks like Shakira will be going her own way at the end of this season.

As much as we all love Cee Lo Green and Christina Aguilera (well, okay, not all of us love these judges), it’s always fun to see the changing dynamic when two alternatives enter the picture. Such was the case this season, when Cee Lo and Christina were temporarily replaced by Usher and Shakira. But, annoyed with what they perceived as an obsession with low-cut tops and inappropriate comments on Christina’s part, Shakira’s fan club is finding itself dreading the singer’s upcoming departure. And that departure absolutely will occur, as has been confirmed by multiple sources.

The Voice producer Mark Burnett explains that, while sometimes unfortunate, change is a necessary part of the show. “Everybody can’t coach for life because when you have people with current recording in the game, this is not their job. Their job is their fans and making music and being live, and so we knew from the beginning that this would happen.”

This is certainly a valid point. Part of the appeal of The Voice is that the judges are actually (gasp) helpful. Would they provide nearly as useful of advice if they were not current on the ins and outs of the industry? Probably not. So while Shakira’s departure may be disappointing, it’s this turnover that keeps the show great.

Will you be sad to see Shakira leave The Voice? Sound off in the comments section below!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook! Click here for more information about The Voice. For other great Reality TV News, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: The Voice.

Photo Credit: NBC

Topics: NBC Reality TV Shows, The Voice |

40 Responses to “Is Shakira Leaving The Voice After Season Four?”

1. Dana Says:
    May 14th, 2013 at 12:32 pm

The panel of judges this season has been the best ever and so sad to see Shakira go. The dynamic between them, the fun they have had as a group has been undeniable. Usher and Shakira have been a great addition to the season and while Christina is a phenominal singer she doesn’t have the class, the personality nor the passion that Shakira has. As for Usher he has been an amazing coach that truley cares about his team and his personality and swag brings a freshness to the show.

2. S Lewis Says:
    May 14th, 2013 at 12:44 pm

I actually loved Shakira’s sincerity, sense of humor and nurturing quality. She’s beautiful in body and soul. I’m sorry to see her go.

3. Deb Says:
    May 14th, 2013 at 12:45 pm

I was a fan of the show with the original panel of judges, but must admit that I prefer the current judges better. I like the rapport that has developed among this season’s judges. I will be sorry to see Shakira leave, but understand that it was only meant to be a short term gig for her. I hope the show is able to maintain a similar vibe in the next season.

4. LORY Says:
    May 14th, 2013 at 12:51 pm

HAPPY TO HEAR SHAKIRA IS LEAVING…I DON’T LIKE HER, SHE FLIRTS OPENLY WITH ADAM…AND SHE HAS JUST HAD A BABY WITH SOMEBODY ELSE…I LOVE USHER THOUGH…C.LOO IS A PAST THING NOW…PLEASE PEOPLE…KEEP USHER…DONT LET HIM GO…

5. delphine Says:
    May 14th, 2013 at 12:52 pm

YES I WILL BE SAD BECAUSE I LOVED WATCHING HER. ON THE VOICE AND NOW THAT SHE IS GONE I WILL GREATLY MISS HER BUT I WISH HERE WELL

6. Arturo Panduro Says:
    May 14th, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Sad to see Shakira go. She was such a tremendous upgrade to the show. She is eloquent, has great comments and insights and you can tell she was connecting with long time judges, Adam and Blake.

Nothing against Christina as an artist but as a judge she was the one that we fast forward on our DVR- her comments are LONG winded and kind of catty, especially harsh on women.

Shakira brings an elegant, thoughtful, rock n roll perspective.
    Christina, a low brow, too gabby, too negative, too tight, too skimpy, too bratty- fighting with co-judges.
    Sorry to see Shakira go- hope she comes back soon.

7. Vicki Says:
    May 14th, 2013 at 1:33 pm

I have never commented on any website before but I love this combination of judges. My husband and I (over 50) watch the show all three days.
    We probably won’t watch if Shakira leaves the show – they have a comraderie that is fun to listen to. As Shakira said on “Ellen” “it’s like they are friends playing monopoly.”

8. Orit Says:
    May 14th, 2013 at 1:35 pm

I like Shakira , she is nice and smart , but Christina is amazing. So I will be glad to see her back . However , Usher is WAAAAAY better that C Lo . Stay with us , stay with us , USHER !!!!!

9. CIndy Says:
    May 14th, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I am sorry to see Shakira go as she is very good with the boy’s. I only hope that since Christina will be coming back that she does not dress so slutty since this is after all a family show ans not everyone wants to see everything.

10. Aileen Says:
    May 14th, 2013 at 1:58 pm

I Am Really Gonna be SAD to see Shakira Go!! I think she really surprised everyone with what she added to this show!! I loved the original panel of judges, but I have to agree with others commenting that this is by far the BEST panel yet and season might I add…..Usher and Shakira brought passion to their teams. You can see they really made every atempt to help their teams and that’s something we did not get as much of in past seasons w/ Ceelo and Christina, sorry! Love my Adam and Blake…hope they never leave!!

11. Mika Says:
    May 14th, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Gonna hate to see Shakira go! Really enjoyed her presence on the show

12. LUIS Says:
    May 14th, 2013 at 2:10 pm

First and only season I will be watching if Shakira leaves and wherever she goes we follow

13. Jamie Says:
    May 14th, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Pls don’t bring back christina keep shakira she sweet n appropriate!! The voice is a great show it doesn’t need someone like Christina that talks too much shows too much of her body is seems very insecure or she wouldn’t be dressing like she does and all that scary make up even if she has lost a lot of weight it doesn’t change how she acts. Shakira was fresh and sweet why doesMark Burnett have to change things? Bringing Christina back isn’t going to get ratings because there’s more that people that laugh at her unfortunately she’s not a good judge Mark Burnett!!!!

14. MDB Says:
    May 14th, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Scooby Doo would be preferable vs Christina

15. Lory Says:
    May 14th, 2013 at 2:39 pm

I love the show, more than ever this year. Skakira and Usher need to stay, Please!

16. Connie Says:
    May 14th, 2013 at 2:43 pm

The chemistry is FINALLY working on The Voice! This is the 1st time I’ve actually set my DVR to watch it! I think Mr. Burnett should Buy Celo and Christina out of whatever contract previously written. It looks like Adam and Blake are enjoying themselves more as well! We’re not kids… DON’T ask us to save your seats. You get up and leave? Guess what… (Oh, well!) Sorry!

17. hatsumi Says:
    May 14th, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Love Shakira !!! I dont know Christina and never watched when she was on the show … I watch the show because of Shakira … She seems positive sweet and thoughtful .. I hate to see her go …

18. kathy Says:
    May 14th, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Loved Shakira on the show. They all get along so well. Want Usher to stay too! Ceo Lo can go but keep usher, he is a really good coach

19. sharon Says:
    May 14th, 2013 at 3:19 pm

NO!NO!NO! have never made a point to watch this show. happened to turn it on one night and was greatly surprised at how much i love the 4 judges on now. DONT LEAVE, SHAKIRS

20. Specs Says:
    May 14th, 2013 at 3:53 pm

I am sorry to see Shakira go. I have to admit that I was not looking forward to her joining the show. I didn’t really know that much about her, but it was a very refreshing change from Christina. Christina is always very catty. Especially the way she fights with the other judges. She actually seems vicious. Shakira bickers with them as well, but in a good natured way. She will be missed. Usher and CeeLo is a toss up. Usher comes off as really arrogant while CeeLo just comes off as creepy. Especially the way he talked to the female contestants.

21. Mary Says:
    May 14th, 2013 at 4:15 pm

I can’t believe I like this years show with Shakira. I like Christina but will not watch it.
    How about getting rid of Usher and have two women.

Mary

22. Reikimaster Says:
    May 14th, 2013 at 4:22 pm

All Christina cared about was sticking “the girls” in everyones face. I must admit the last 2 or 3 episodes when she toned it down were an improvment. Let’s keep the white cat & multi-colored bird gone.

23. Linda Says:
    May 14th, 2013 at 4:42 pm

First time I watched the show all the way through. Probably will not watch the next season if Shakira and Usher leave. It was an excellent season with this group together. It will be a real shame to see them go

24. Dee Says:
    May 14th, 2013 at 5:04 pm

I never made it through the other seasons of The Voice because it got too tedious between the judges, but I am LOVING season 4— and Shakira has become something of an idol. Passionate, humorous, and sweet, she truly tries to HELP. The dynamic of all four has been AMAZING and HILARIOUS to watch! This will probably be the only FULL season that I bother to watch if she really is going. Good luck with all that you do, Shakira! You are WONDERFUL!

25. Chantel Says:
    May 14th, 2013 at 5:33 pm

I’m laughing at the girl that said she wants Shakira gone simply because she ‘openly flirts with Adam’. I rather see her playfully and innocently flirt than sit and watch Christina tearing down other coaches contestants with cattiness. This is the same woman that didn’t even remember her former Mouseketeer co-star and then after she did, was so nasty toward him on live television. As for Cee-Lo, I didn’t have a problem with his being on the show, but it was a big breath of fresh air seeing a panel of judges that treated one another with respect

26. Maria Says:
    May 14th, 2013 at 6:04 pm

pls keep Shakira! Shes the reason why I Watch the show. Why not keep both? NBC has the $$$ !

27. Zelli Says:
    May 14th, 2013 at 7:02 pm

I love Shakira and hope they bring her back in amother season. Usher is great too. I would like it if they remove Christina and Cee lo permanently.

28. lynzmom Says:
    May 14th, 2013 at 9:24 pm

This was the best panel of judges. Shakira was a much better judge and mentor than Christina ever will be. Christina is too much into herself. She has no class and her wardrobe helps to confirm the lack of class Shakira was able to mentor the contestants in a more professional manner. Don’t know if we’ll continue to watch the show.

29. Ross Says:
    May 15th, 2013 at 5:00 am

Shakira is and has been much better than Christina. Shakira has been humble, seems to genuinely care about the contestants and is not full of herself, like Christina seems to be. Usher, as well has been a nice addition to the show,I have enjoyed them both very much! I have been a Shakira fan, but I am much more of one now, since this season. Good luck Shakira!!

30. sam Says:
    May 15th, 2013 at 6:25 am

i love watching the voice! i wish they would keep Shakira & Usher, didn’t take long to get use to them. i first started watching “The Voice’because of Adam & Blake, now i love them all. Ce Lo is good, and Christina don’t mind her but her clothing has got to go. Your on a tv show dress with some class. i’ll miss Shakira & Usher, please come back for another season:)

31. nikkole Says:
    May 15th, 2013 at 7:04 am

Love Shakira on the Voice! She’s really funny. She knows how to use a little tabasco. If she leaves, I will not watch The Voice again. I don’t like the way Christina coaches and interacts with the other judges…very unprofessional. She has a way of looking down on people….. very bitchy and inappropriate. Cee-Lo can also go. Usher is a better coach than Cee-Lo. He doesn’t show any sexual inclination towards the contestants. He doesn’t try hard to be funny. These four judges: Shakira, Adam, Blake and Usher are a big hit! Why let go any of them?

32. Christine DeLozier Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 6:53 am

I am a middle school teacher, and my classes and I often discuss The Voice. It has been a pleasure this year to engage with them about the show, as Usher and Shakira have proved to be positive role models for my students. Both Usher and Shakira have demonstrated the power of being positive and helpful as they took their roles of mentors seriously and were mindful of the impact of their words on the contestants. We will be all sad to see them leave the show. It took a big step forward this season in its approach and presentation.

33. Jeff Says:
    May 16th, 2013 at 12:11 pm

The producers at American Idol can now let a big gasp of air. Shakira and Ussher single handedly crushed the most popular show in decades. The good news is that they learned a lesson from this. And, with Shakira and Ussher gone, they will swamp the Voice next year.

34. Debbie Riley Says:
    May 17th, 2013 at 3:15 pm

This has been a terrific season. My husband and I have come to love Shakira. She is kind, teasing at times, and easy to watch. We’ll truly miss you, Shakira.

35. Debbie Riley Says:
    May 17th, 2013 at 3:17 pm

My husband and I have come to love Shakira. We will miss you, Shakira.

36. Trish Jonas Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 10:32 am

I really will hate to see Shakira go. Shakira to me seems wholesome and she is funny. I found her to be a fabulous replacement for Christina. I never cared to watch Christina on the show. Glad Cee-Lo is no longer on the show as well. It’s a well-rounded show this year. Nothing stays the same forever though.

37. Sheila Vons Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Pls let Shakira stay ! she was awesom, just what The Voice needed after Diva Christina’s cattiness ! Shakira is normal,funny and realy part of the Voice family !

38. Karen Says:
    June 8th, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Shakira, great coach always smiling, coaching of her team has always been to make them reach their potential, she never brought the cattiness. Her personaltiy was and has been refreshing the entire season, to watch her stand her ground with Blake, Usher & Adam, never in a demeaning way. Playful and feisty. You will be missed very much. Good luck in all your future musical endeavors, and with motherhood…..

39. Stephanie N. Says:
    June 30th, 2013 at 9:23 am

I heard Christina gettin big time money to return, her personality doesn’t suit the show. Shakira’s rapport with the judges and contestants, combined with Ushers coaching made the show, loved Ce-lo, but hate they are bringing Christina back. Dreading if actually, can’t they work something out to keep Shakira. I love every other judge but she is an awful return, sucks bc I love this show, but have always disliked her “critiques” and her attitude, and I’m tired of her boobs hanging out of every outfit. Please please please bring back Shakira

40. susie Says:
    April 29th, 2014 at 7:13 am

Love Shakira. I would miss Shakira, she’s fun.

Comments