Paula Deen Dropped By Food Network And Her Fans Are Angry About It

June 24, 2013 05:16 AM by Lisa Princ

Paula Deen is once again in the hot seat over some possible racist remarks, and after recently ditching an appearance on the Today Show, the The Who Do You Think You Are alum is in hot water again. This time, Deen has been dropped from Food Network, and it’s safe to say that her fans are not the least bit happy about it!

After all the recent controversy surrounding Paula Deen, the southern belle known for her fatty yet delicious recipes will not be returning to Food Network once her contract is up. It’s not by Deen’s choice though, as Food Network issued the statement a few days ago, revealing that they would be dropping Paula at the end of the month when her contract is up.

Paula Deen, who admitted to using racial slurs, went down with class as usual. According to People Magazine, Paula Deen issued the following statement about her departure: “I have had the pleasure of being allowed into so many homes across the country and meeting people who have shared with me the most touching and personal stories. This would not have been possible without the Food Network. Thank you again. Love and best dishes to all of ya’ll.”

Paula Deen’s fans have not been so gracious, however. Since learning the news of Deen’s departure from the Network, angry fans from all over the country have been bombarding Food Network with hate messages. Many of those very same fans are promising that they will never tune into Food Network again.

Paula Deen has been a staple on the Food Network for over 10 years. While we definitely do not condone racial slurs, we highly doubt Deen is the first chef on their network to ever do so.

What do you think about Paula Deen using racial slurs? Do you think Food Network was too hard on her by firing her? We know you have an opinion and we want to hear it. Sound off in the comments section below!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook!. Click here for more information on Who Do You Think You Are?  For other great reality TV news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: Reality TV.

Photo Credit: Food Network

Topics: Food Network Reality TV Shows, NBC Reality TV Shows, Who Do You Think You Are? |

40 Responses to “Paula Deen Dropped By Food Network And Her Fans Are Angry About It”

1. Crystal Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 5:36 am

Dear Food Network,

I am very disappointed in your behavior towards Paula Deen. She is a nice person who used a bad word in the privacy of her own home DECADES ago. You took an overzealous, high and mighty stance and raked her over the coals for telling the truth?

You must be absolutely perfect in everything you do and say and have been spotless from the time of your birth. Because I am not, you probably don’t want my viewership or to have me as a customer of any of your products. I will remove my sinful self from your email list immediately. I am sorry for being human.

2. Me Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 5:42 am

I am happy the Food Network executives dropped Paula Dean’s cooking show. I feel she thought just because she is rich and famous she could treat people with disrespect

3. fran smith Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 5:46 am

Paula Deen should not apologize or be fired..she didn’t say anything that most entertainers say. It seems awfully one sided if black people can call themselves the N word but no one else can..I CALL THAT racist. YOU ARE OFF MY LIST

4. Teresa Harbison Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 5:52 am

I was raised in the south, 30 years ago it was common to refer to a black person as Nigger. Over the years you learn from your experiences and you teach your children and grandchildren not to use that word. Paula should not be punished for something that happened a lifetime ago.

5. Susan Brock Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 5:56 am

I believe Food Network is being too hard. She was raised during the time when it was a normal thing and there was not such term as “politically correct”. One cannot help ones upbringing and I totally believe you should take that into consideration!

6. Lisa Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 5:59 am

I still haven figured out the reverse raceism here. If a white person uses the N word, they are racist. A black person can use it ant it is totally no problem, in fact rappers and comedians make millions by using it.

7. Jane Keziah Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 6:01 am

I will not watch the Food Network anymore if they remove Paula Dean. Has this country gone mad why is it alright for all the rap song which are horrible with slang and filthy slurs left on the air but let some one white say something and they are going to be to banned. The language that was used was from another generation. I say Paula Dean is a true southern and like most never really realized how awful that kinda of language was. You cannot change the past but strife to make the current time better. Paula Dean only shows love and I support her.

8. tutti-fruitti Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 6:09 am

PAY ATTENTION PEOPLE !!!! Paula is now being sued by a former black employee who is making public the fact that she and other black employees were mistreated by Paula and her trashy brother because of their race. They were subjected to being called the “N” word, and they were discriminated against in the work place. They are suing the Deens and Paula admitted using the “N” word in court !!!

9. MsKlassy Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 6:13 am

In my opinion, she should be dropped

10. Bobcat Bill Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 6:14 am

Ok “media”…get of Paul Deen’s case. I’m tired of the media telling us what we can or cannot say whenever we want to say it. To hell with this “n” word thing. If you want to say nigger, whore, bitch, son of a bitch, go ahead and say it! We only have twenty-six letters in our alphabet now. We don’t need to lessen our alphabet letters! Just use discretion when you use them. You don’t have to offend or embarrass your friends or strangers with your inappropriate use of the English language. It seems, now, that we live in a stage of abbreviations and one letter “do not say this or that!” I’m tired of it. Sick of hearing it on TV, and, especially on the news, things of what we can or cannot say or do. They don’t run our lives and never will! Isn’t there any other news out there to report except the same old “defecation?”

11. donna Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 6:15 am

Whatever…. People always have to find something to get bent out of shape!!!! Paula Deen is a good person, she’s not perfect but nobody is. Who in this world has not said anything that they regret at one time or another. Lighten up people!!!!

12. RICHARD ALLOCCA Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 6:18 am

The fireing of Paula Dean, a strong self made woman is just wrong. We shall no longer watch the Food Network and all their other programs. We shall encourage other to do likewise, BOYCOTT. Further we shall contact their advertisers and advise them as well……

13. MsKlassy Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 6:22 am

I feel her network need to be dropped. She is in the public eye. That type of remark should not be tolerated by anyone.

14. LisaG. Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 6:24 am

“She went down with class, as usual”? I guess the writer of the article doesn’t understand it was her lack of class that got her show cancelled.

But, don’t worry, Deaniacs, her show will just be picked up by some other network. Maybe Fox radio will sign her to a contract.

15. Sissy Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 6:26 am

YES!!!!I am not in agreement of thier choice of action!I DO NOT believe that you should punish someone for a mistake made in the past(Not one of that nature)If she had killed someone obviously she should be punished!
    She has made food network a lot of money,and because of Paula people watched other shows on that channel!

16. Donna Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 6:27 am

YES!!!! Food Network did the RIGHT thing.

17. Sherry Spooner Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 6:28 am

I’m sick of Paula Deen anyway. I’ve made a lot of her recipes that were not good. Watch The Pioneer Woman, she’s better.

18. elishe4070 Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 6:29 am

When people are punished for telling the truth it may be a good indication as to why this country is in the shape it’s in. Racial slurs are part of the human condition, we ALL do it. I can only imagine what words were used to describe the situation at the Food Network when someone decided that tellling the truth is akin to a crime. I will support Paula Deen and the Foodnetwork can go to Hell.

19. Tammy Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 6:31 am

I am outraged that Paula is being fired over this! If she did not say this at work or on the air then the Food Network should not be involved. It is my understanding that this is about something she said a long time ago. She had admitted it and apologized. Move on. Rappers can say it 15 times in a song and put it out there for our kids to hear but a white person will lose their whole career for using a word!?! What happened to freedom of speech? Food Network has gone to far and I stand behind Paula!

20. louis mcafee Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 6:33 am

I am a black male that love southern food. I am also a serious fan of paula dean. I can’t understand why she would do something like this. she may not understand that food bridges the gap between black and white.

21. Darlene Nelson Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 6:34 am

Enough already! Iam so sick of people thinking the ‘N’ word is such a hanous crime! This word originated by identifying people from Nigeria, Africa, Nigers. It later became a ‘slang’ word. Colored folks, or black people, call each other this all the time. Why isn’t it looked at a bad thing when these folks us this word? Colored folks, or black people, call white people honkies, and/or cracker, all the time. Why aren’t these words known as the ‘H’ word or the ‘C’ word? It’s not as if the ‘n’ word is a life threatening statement like ‘I’m going to kill you’. Saying that to someone would be a criminal act. But, come on, enough already about the ‘n’ word…

22. SONIA ORELLANO Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 6:34 am

This is crazy, to hard on Paula Deen, come on how many time do we hear the word. Food network lost a great thing..

23. faye hartshorn Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 6:34 am

sorry no more food network for me. Shame, Shame Shame
    Paula was the first I watched and your network will be the last.

24. Cathy Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 6:34 am

Paula should have not been fired over something that happens yrs ago.Foodnetwork has and will lose alot of people,even me…I enjoyed Paula on the show,she brought fun to her show..But anyway she was done wrong and foodnetwork or you a saint? Ya’ll never did or say anything wrong..What or why some of the other chefs was not let go after what they did..??So Paula is fired the fired the others

25. Doris Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 6:35 am

Maybe Paula Dean should not have been honest and lied like the crowd in Washington, then she would have gotten a big bonus and a raise. I think Food Network over reacted. She was wrong in saying it but some black people say that word all the time. I am white and have words heard words like “cracker” and others even worse. I will not be watching Foodnetwork any more. That is not said lightly since I usually watched something on that channel most days.

26. Charli Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 6:37 am

Food Network’s CEO is an idiot! At least wait until the trial to judge! I used to have Food Network on my TV all day long–I have not watched it since June 21st, 2013, and asked my grandson to block it on my TV. I hope the millions of Paula fans will do the same. Sorry to the rest of the chef (especially the new ones) under contract to that network. I hope that Cooking Network will jump at hiring Paula (although I know she will not want for a job) and also steal her wonderful sons from these hypocrites. Please support Paula Deen and boycott Food Network with me!

27. D.W. Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 6:37 am

I think it is stupid. I suspect that there are not that many people over the age of 15 that hasn’t made some kind of a racial slur at some point in time. I suspect that most (if not all) of the other chefs on Food Network have made a racial slur more than once in their lives.
    I would bet that even the most if not all of the so called “Powers that Be” that made this stupid decision have used a few of them in their lives as well. Who are they to judge.
    I am one that will not be watching Food Nework again once Paula is gone. Oh just a hint, there isn’t one reciepe that any of them prepare that can’t be adjusted for diet/health reasons. My mother has diabetes and she adjusts all meals she prepares to accommodate the diabetes and my diet so get off of that “fatty food” crap. I think they are just looking for something to gripe about.

28. Shawn Marshall Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 6:37 am

The people who support Ms. Deen are tolerant of Racism and are Racists themselves. It would be a very sad commentary on America if the Food Network changed their mind and renewed Ms. Deen’s contract.

29. Sandra B Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 6:40 am

Paula Deen is by no means the only person on TV to ever use a slur. We should praise her for telling the truth. Discrimination should not be tolerated and I totally disagree with her actions if this is the way she treated her employees. She should be pardoned.

30. Scorpio Temptress Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 6:42 am

It is unfortunate that Paula Deen thought that “being Southern” was an excuse for appearing to be racist. If a black person had made that connection publicly, they would have been severely criticized. For that reason I am happy that a Southerner has had the guts to show how they truly feel about Blacks. I hate when people say that prejudice is dead because the US President is black. He is not black, he is bi-racial and even so, he is still hated by many whites in the US for something he has had no control over. I like Paula and her food, and am thankful that she was honest enough to shed some light on this issue, but having a dream about putting my forefathers back in “white tuxedoes” to serve at her wedding is offensive because it puts us back in time when our freedom was violently denied for no good reason and saying that we should learn to “forgive” or “forget” but that the Jews should “never forget” shows that we will never be free from discrimination! NEVER!

31. Kathleen Faulkner Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 6:45 am

People make mistakes. She admitted it. You need to look at how people are raised and what region they grew up in. I used to cringe at statements my older relatives would make but realized they were raised in a different era. How many of our politicians have made serious mistakes and are forgiven or the mistakes are swept under the rug over and over. I’ve lost my respect for the Food Network. You need to look at your bible.

32. Marjorie Stasko Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 6:48 am

I am a 58 year old white female born and raised in the deep south. When I was a child everyone used what are now considered racial slurs. We were not bad people and neither is Paula Deen. The food network never gave her a chance, to explain herself or see if viewership went down. All she did was tell the truth. Shame on the network. I used to watch between four and six hours a day but will fill those hours doing anything but watching the network.

33. Sherry Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 7:08 am

I think the Food Network went to far by leting Paula go. Paula accepted blame for her wrong doing and has apologized. Just food for thought why is it okay for peolple of color to refer to themselves by the N word but if anyone else says it then it’s considered a racial slur. I personally never use the word for any reason because of it’s origin but realy come on Food Network… I am sure other chefs on the network have said worse. They just haven’t been outed yet!

34. voo Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 8:01 am

if the spelling of her departure statement is correctly represented in this article, the apostrophe is misplaced in the last contraction – it should be “y’all”, not “ya’ll”. it seems she is misplaced, too. she is an ignorant, mean bitch.

35. george Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 8:04 am

If the “N” word is racist then what do you think the food network is doing???? You people are so prejudiced against white people it makes me sick! What if she had said honky or cracker? Would you have fired her? I am sick of the news networks, too they should be reporting the news and not giving us their opinion. This country is going down the tubes.

I wonder what it would be like if the South had won the Civil War. I am from California and I have seen the way the Southern people have been discriminated against. We have lost our Country!

36. ro Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 9:22 am

Unfortunately,the media hopped on Paula’s response to the direct question, and not on Ms. Jackson’s claims. The complete deposition has now been made available, and Ms. Jackson apparently never really heard Paula Deen say anything of the nature she is being sued for. This is a shakedown of the worst kind and the ‘news’ media and Food Network hopped on it. They should have waited politely until the court case was heard and justice rendered.

37. Geno Says:
    June 24th, 2013 at 9:35 pm

The WAR ON WHITE people continues.

38. John Says:
    June 25th, 2013 at 10:59 am

I was done with Food Network a few months ago and only watched Paula Deen. They have shot themselves in the foot by getting involved in a situation that makes them look stupid and ignorant. I will not be watch the network in the future, but will follow Paula into her next project.

39. Charlene Says:
    June 29th, 2013 at 9:59 am

I have watched Food Network since Paula started. She was the reason I started watching and now that you fired her and the “Executives” had the nerve to get on TV and say they don’t care what the fans think they only care about the sponsors I won’t be watching you any more. Actually, shouldn’t the Executives who said that be fired since it could affect the network? I vote yes. I would consider that an “error in judgement”. And we all know that you can’t make a mistake and be forgiven on The Food Network. None of you can tell me that you know how you react if you were a teller being robbed at gunpoint. and this was 30 years ago. And as far as this trial goes you already have her convicted before the jury does. Who do you think you are? I say all of you “Stars and Exeutives should form a line and someone should look into your past to see what they can find. If you’ve made even one mistake in your life you should all be fired! Since you don’t care what the fans think why should anyone watch? You can have all the sponsors in the world, but if no one watches to see the sponsors products I don’t think they’ll stick around long. I don’t think that was a very smart thing out of your mouth

40. Bubbles Says:
    July 14th, 2013 at 6:04 am

I have not watched the food network since Paula was let go and have no plans on watching anymore. I have since blocked it so no one can watch it! can’t wait the hear the food network’s demise!!!!

Bye Bye……you morons!