Paula Deen’s Sons Deny Racism Claims

June 25, 2013 04:02 PM by Stephanie Gustafson

In the celebrity world, a mistake can come back to haunt you big time, even if it happened years and years ago. Who Do You Think You Are alum Paula Deen has learned this the hard way, with accusations of racism leading to the loss of her esteemed spot on Food Network and possibly QVC as well. Paula’s fans have rushed to her defense and now, her sons are joining in on the protest effort.

Like the rest of her fan base, Paula Deen’s sons are incredibly angry about all the current drama surrounding their number one role model. In an exclusive interview with CNN’s Chris Cuomo, Paula’s son Bobby Deen explained that his mother had been the victim of character assassination.”Neither one of our parents ever taught us to be bigoted toward any other person for any reason.”

Bobby also made a point of highlighting the many positive qualities that have contributed to Paula’s massive fan base over the years. “Our mother is one of the most compassionate, good-hearted, empathetic people that you’d ever meet…These accusations are very hurtful to her, and it’s very sad.”

Jamie Deen agrees with Bobby’s description of his mother. In order to illustrate his mom’s respect for individuals of all skin colors and ethnicities, he explained that when he was a child, Paula Deen used his love of African American athlete Hank Aaron to demonstrate the need for equal treatment. According to Jamie, Paula made it clear that, “the challenges [Hank Aaron] had to overcome because of his color was unacceptable.”

Do you agree with Paula Deen’s sons? Feel free to share your opinion in the comments section below!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook!. Click here for more information on Who Do You Think You Are?  For other great reality TV news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: Reality TV.

Photo Credit: ABC

Topics: Food Network Reality TV Shows, NBC Reality TV Shows, Who Do You Think You Are? |

8 Responses to “Paula Deen’s Sons Deny Racism Claims”

1. judy johnson Says:
    June 25th, 2013 at 4:53 pm

I love paula. Who are you going to kick off next for some STUPID reason.

2. judy johnson Says:
    June 25th, 2013 at 4:56 pm

This whole thing is stupid. I feel sorry for what the whole family is having to go through.

3. Carol Says:
    June 26th, 2013 at 9:47 am

As a 50 something black woman who has had the N word hurled at her many times in my life….I can say that Paula Deen using the word once 30 years ago does NOT offend me. 30 years ago it was common, though hateful….if she had said it recently I would feel different.

How about going after some of the scum that are on TV or in Music now who hurl hateful words, instead of going after a Southern woman who was going by customary language 3 decades ago?

4. s johnson Says:
    June 26th, 2013 at 9:49 am

This is crazy–give Paula a chance! Here she stood up to an alleged blackmailer–12 million to not sue her–and she steps up and is honest about comments 30 years ago–and bam! How can they do that to her while so many rap artists use the N word and the f-bomb over and over in songs that our children come in contact with? Along with abusive and demeaning statements about the treatment of women. Paula has added such a sweet and funny ‘charge’ to our lives on her shows–she’s open about her family, her husband, her diabetes–and butter!
    Shame on Matt L. for being such a rude host–what has is big contribution been? TFC jumped the gun– her deposition was “part of a process” –until there is an adjudication from their law suit, there is not a conclusion– what happened to innocent until proven guilty– sorry- y’all– I’m really upset– her sons present as sincerely wonderful men with regard for their family–that should tell you what kind of a person Paula Deen really is. omg–give her a break, she apologized.

5. JOHN CONLEY Says:
    June 26th, 2013 at 11:22 am

I guess when blacks were kick of the busses that was stupid are couldn’t eat at white buissiness that was stupid to oh yes lynching

6. JOHN CONLEY Says:
    June 26th, 2013 at 11:27 am

I guess when blacks were kick of busses that was stupit are couldn,t eat at white buissiness that was stupit oh yes lynching

7. R Horn Says:
    June 26th, 2013 at 2:40 pm

This is ASS-nyne, you cannot tell me that there was ever a time in your past that not one of you did not use that word. Shame on you. If that were the case you all should be fired. This women has brought many different races of people on her show and showed us different culture foods, I myself will no longer watch the food net work. And I was a religious watcher.

8. Tami Says:
    June 26th, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Paula was one of the main reasons I watched the Food Network to begin with…so sweet and funny, she made cooking fun…now I think I will see what else I can find to watch because it sure won’t be the same Food network without Paula Deen.

Comments