Paula Deen Tears Up As She Defends Herself On The Today Show

June 26, 2013 07:07 AM by Lisa Princ

It’s been a quite a week for Paula Deen. After being accused of being a racist, Food Network fired the southern chef, and then she lost her endorsement deal with Smithfield. Now, with plenty of support from her fans, Paula Deen made an appearance on The Today Show this morning to defend herself, and it was nothing short of very emotional!

Paula Deen is finally speaking out about the events that have spiraled out of control this past week. Grilled by Matt Lauer, Deen admitted that she is still in a state of shock over the hurtful lies being spread about her.

Deen went on to explain that she only used the word in question once: “The day I used that word it was a world ago. It was 30 years ago. I had had a gun put to my head because the man that had the gun to my head was my customer at the main office.”

With that, Lauer questioned why she didn’t just lie about it, if she only used the racial slur once. According to Paula Deen, lying is not how she was raised, nor is being racist something that her father would have tolerated. “They asked me in all of my 66 years on earth had I used it. I answered it truthfully. It’s just not a part of who we are,” Deen explained.

As the interview began to come to an end, Paula began to tear up, admitting that she is heartbroken and revealing that she never intended to hurt anyone. Paula summed it up best when she told Lauer: “If there’s anyone out there that has never said something that they wished they could take back. If you’re out there, please pick up that stone and throw it so hard at my head that it kills me. Please. I want to meet you. I is what I is and I’m not changing.”

Oh, and for anyone wondering about the QVC rumors, Deen says that they have not fired her…yet.

What do you think about Paula Deen’s interview? Do you think Food Network was too hard on her by firing her? We know you have an opinion and we want to hear it. Sound off in the comments section below!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook!. Click here for more information on Who Do You Think You Are?  For other great reality TV news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: Reality TV.

Photo Credit: Food Network

Topics: Food Network Reality TV Shows, NBC Reality TV Shows, Who Do You Think You Are? |

13 Responses to “Paula Deen Tears Up As She Defends Herself On The Today Show”

1. Cyndi Says:
    June 26th, 2013 at 8:16 am

I don’t know all that happened when Paula was asked that question but having lived in GA during th e sixties i can tell you it was common to hear the N word. Adults taught their children there was nothing wrong with using it. Paula should be commended for over coming such teaching and not using such slurs. More power to her.

2. anonymous Says:
    June 26th, 2013 at 11:29 am

Food Network was very wrong to let Paula Deen go and so was QVC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Paula has not done anything wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am behind her 100%.

3. Trish Says:
    June 26th, 2013 at 2:06 pm

I think the real question is why do many Blacks call each other the “N” word – and many other horrible things. I hear this in Black to Black conversations all the time – sometimes in a joking way and sometimes in anger. Often in public places where children are present. My parents taught me that calling anyone names of any sort was hurtful and wrong. I don’t do it. Anyone who speaks in this way sets an awful example.

4. walk in my shoes Says:
    June 26th, 2013 at 4:46 pm

you would have had to be black to understand how this word offends the black race. YES it is true that rappers and Comedians (blacks)use it a lot but coming from another race or the very race that used it to identify blacks is very offending.racism still exist.The main one that think about it and not say anything.that person is just as guilty as the one that admit to it.It is no different from calling someone a honky,or a cracker.IT does not matter if it was a long time ago.

5. Corburn Lee Says:
    June 29th, 2013 at 9:33 am

Paula needs to shut up and hire a Publicist!

6. Betty Boo Says:
    July 2nd, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Food Network was wrong to fire Paula Deen and Wal-mart is wrong to quit selling her products, Her cook ware is fantastic. Everyone that lived in the south in the sixties used the N word at one time or another. The only ones who use it now is the blacks themselves. Rather than being upset with a 66 year old woman who used the N word years ago, the Food Network and Wal-Mart and all other sponsors of Paula Deen, need to get behind the wrap music played loud where small children can hear it. Not only the N word used but the F word also. It is horrible. The blacks playing their rap music so loud with the N words and F words flying 90 decimals are the problem, not Paul Deen. If they can play this smut and claim it is freedom of speech, then white people should be able to use the N word and claim it is freedom of speech.

7. Betty Boo Says:
    July 3rd, 2013 at 7:40 am

Very disappointed in the fact you did not print my comment. I thought it was in good taste. Just laid it out there and it is the truth and you know it.
    Thank you, I will not be commenting anymore. Censorship is alive and well when it comes to whites but not for the blacks. Have a nice day.

8. Linda Briggs Says:
    July 4th, 2013 at 11:36 am

I love Paula Dean and feel not only Food Network but also Smithfield, Walmart, Target and all others cutting her will not be on my list of places to visit or purchase from. They are so WRONG!! I am also of age and it was so common in houses back then. Get over it people and accept it. My God we have bigger issues out there, like, our so called president and his followers, invading our privacy, taking away out constitutional rights, and all the rappers etc out there using the n….word today as we speak, They are not being fired..GOD BLESS PAULA DEAN!!!

9. Linda M. Says:
    July 5th, 2013 at 1:30 pm

I believe Paula Deen was treated very unfairly by the Food Network. She didn’t say anything a person over the age of 60 hasn’t said at least once in their life years ago. This politically correct society is getting out of hand. When the African American community stops calling themselves that N word than we can start from scratch.

10. Sybil k Says:
    July 24th, 2013 at 11:27 am

Well thanks to Paula Deen now we are shooping at Target and we are not watching food network any more because y think they are the one that are racist we are living in a free country Paula Deen is not perfect , her products are very good , she is a good mother ,work very hard to have the life she got, so why food net work dont want somebody like her working for them and wallmark should be proud to sell her products

11. Paula M Says:
    July 31st, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I support Paula Deen 100%. Let Food Network and all the others that are condeming her throw the first stone if they’ve never done something wrong. Her example over these last many, many years speak for themselves. She has lived a life to be proud of. Everyone should realize that that’s not the kind of person Paula is today. People should be ashamed of what they are doing to Paula and should really rethink their treatment of her. Good luck Paula, You will be in our prayers. Hang in there

12. Esther P. Says:
    August 3rd, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Paula Deen is a lovely lady, Mother and wife. She made a mistake so long ago. Forgiveness is a blessing and if you (Food Network, etc.)can’t forgive Paula then how many of you won’t make it to Heaven? It really depends on how you are raised and where….and what you observed adults saying and doing when you were a child. I ask for forgiveness for my thoughts when I was a child and young adult. Who knew any differently? Now I do and so does Paula. XXOO

13. Trisha Says:
    August 6th, 2013 at 12:07 pm

I live in Savannah and was raised in the Deep South. 30 years ago it was a different culture here. She said something stupid and offensive. 30 years ago! Since when did it become a requirement to be perfect your whole life in order to show me how to make great biscuits?

Comments