Novo Nordisk Suspends Partnership With Paula Deen

June 27, 2013 02:00 PM by Stephanie Gustafson

Food Network, Walmart, Caesars Entertainment…one by one, the many companies represented by Paula Deen are backing out on deals they’ve forged with the celebrity chef. The latest business to wash its hands of Paula Deen? Pharmaceutical company Novo Nordisk.

The bad news continues for fallen idol Paula Deen, who, following allegations of racism, has been losing valuable deals left and right. Whether or not company leaders feel that Paula is actually a racist, they clearly do not wish to be associated with all the bad PR following this case.

The latest disappointment suffered by Paula is that of her ‘suspension’ from a patient education program for Novo Nordisk. The pharmaceutical manufacturer explained the decision in a statement released earlier today: “Novo Nordisk and Paula Deen have mutually agreed to suspend our patient education activities for now, while she takes time to focus her attention where it is needed.”

This doesn’t necessarily mean that Paula’s work with Novo Nordisk is 100 percent over. Earlier, a representative from the company promised that the celebrity chef would not be dropped for good. And based on the language in its statement of ‘suspension,’ there is some chance that Paula may return in the future to endorse diabetes drug Victoza. After all, today’s statement included what nearly amounted to a thank you for Paula’s several months of service for the drug company. “Novo Nordisk would like to acknowledge Paula’s involvement in our Diabetes in a New Light™ campaign, where she has helped make many people aware of type 2 diabetes and the lifestyle changes needed to control this serious disease.”

Do you think Novo Nordisk will bring Paula Deen back when this controversy dies down? Sound off in the comments section below!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook!. Click here for more information on Who Do You Think You Are?  For other great reality TV news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: Reality TV.

Photo Credit: Food Network

Topics: Food Network Reality TV Shows, NBC Reality TV Shows, Who Do You Think You Are? |

9 Responses to “Novo Nordisk Suspends Partnership With Paula Deen”

1. JC Says:
    June 29th, 2013 at 2:37 pm

This whole “jumping on the bandwagon” response is absolutely ridiculous. This very bright woman only admitted to a statement she made over 30 years ago. Tell me who in the south has never used this word in their past. When Ms. Deen was growing up like the rest of us from the south even if we were not predgous it was just a common word. This whole mess condemning her is absurd.

2. Farrington Says:
    July 1st, 2013 at 9:08 am

She is getting just what she deserves. How could someone be so insensitive to say the things she did? She said it 30 years ago and she it still likely to be saying it now. She also made reference to having a wedding with pretend slaves and that was a recent statement. Come on, she is an unbelievable stupid woman

3. Farrington Says:
    July 1st, 2013 at 9:15 am

What do you mean by moderation? You expect to me to say poor women. It is statement like the first one that is a problem in America. People are constantly trying to modify every thing that is done wrong. It was wrong then to say such a thing is it is wrong now!!!

4. CT Says:
    July 1st, 2013 at 9:51 am

I personally think it’s BS the way she’s being persecuted. Only in America will your past be drug thru the mud continuously in the present. Doesn’t matter if it was a year ago or 50 years ago. Some dumb a$$ is going to bring it up to make a name for themselves by pointing the finger saying “see what I found, pat me on the back and say thank you lord it was caught before anymore damage was done!” I think those people should be horsewhipped and the companies that are falling left and right to peer pressure boycotted as they are boycotting Ms. Deen.

5. SW Says:
    July 2nd, 2013 at 7:38 am

This is ridiculous!! As I understand this was aimed at the armed black man who robbed the bank where she was working as a bank teller. How many people have never made a comment on another person’s race, color, religion, etc. in the past 30 years? Very few I bet. I know I am guilty of that.

6. Linda Briggs Says:
    July 2nd, 2013 at 9:25 am

I love Paula Dean and believe the media, food network, walmart, target and any other idiots that drop her deserve to be dropped from our everyday lives also. Just tell me you never used the n.. word
    30 years ago and some still do. The only difference between her and you is you are not truthful about it!!!! God Bless Paula

7. Liz Barker Says:
    July 2nd, 2013 at 9:49 am

I do feel sorry for her, maybe she did say it years ago, but so did a good portion of Americans. I am a Canadian and just don’t understand how coloured people were treated so cruely. I don’t think that white people would like to be slaves and whipped and sold.

8. TJ Says:
    July 2nd, 2013 at 11:40 am

I also think this poor woman is being persecuted. Why is it OK for some people to use that word and not get dropped by the companies they represent? I have heard it in several songs and there seems to be no consequences. I don’t see Walmart removing these artists from their shelves. It was 30 years ago and she was under stress when saying it, a gun was being held to her head. I would challenge anyone to stop and think about what you are saying while under the same circumstances. Personally I am going to ban the companies that drop Paula Dean.

9. Sue Says:
    July 4th, 2013 at 6:14 am

This is BS. People can’t say some time in their life they haven’t said the N word. I am not going to or using anything that has dropped Paula.

Comments