Duck Dynasty’s Phil Robertson Sparks Controversy With Anti-Abortion Speech

August 21, 2013 02:10 PM by Stephanie Gustafson

The stars of Duck Dynasty have long aligned themselves with the conservative movement, so it should come as no surprise that they are decidedly pro-life. Phil Robertson  made this clear in a very passionate anti-abortion speech that recently surfaced on YouTube.

Members of the Robertson family have no qualms about letting Duck Dynasty fans know exactly where they stand on political issues, particularly when these debates have anything to do with their religious convictions. As such, it’s no shocker that Phil Robertson considers himself a staunch supporter of the pro-life movement.

Phil’s pro-life stance is nothing new, but his fervor for the issue has been made even more obvious with the resurfacing of a video featuring his thoughts on abortion. In what is quickly becoming a viral clip, Phil asks audience members to keep the Founding Fathers in mind as they ponder the abortion debate. “From the time you started inside your mother’s womb, Thomas Jefferson had it right. You have the God-given right to live, for crying out loud.”

In Phil’s opinion, this is no place for a discussion on women’s rights.  He explained this viewpoint by asking, “We debate whether some woman has the right to tear you out of there a piece at a time? Come on!”

We’ve had a pretty good idea of the Robertsons’ ideology all along and we expect other viewers have as well. But that hasn’t  stopped some critics from taking offense to this video. As can be expected with any controversial issue, YouTubers and Twitter users are split, with some providing support for Phil’s views and others taking offense at his rather blunt approach.

Do you agree with Phil Robertson? Feel free to share your opinion in the comments section below!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook!. Click here for more information on Reality TV. For other great reality television news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: Reality TV.

Photo Credit: A&E

Topics: A&E Reality TV Shows, Duck Dynasty |

42 Responses to “Duck Dynasty’s Phil Robertson Sparks Controversy With Anti-Abortion Speech”

1. Kat Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:55 pm

no one is surprised that Phil is pro-life, including the public and what I find strange is that anyone could take offense at the comments he made. Where on literal Earth is a child supposed to safer than it it’s own mother’s womb? If a woman litigates it, chooses it, marches to protect it or protest it who could disagree with the statement? No one should expect people to agree with removing a child from that sacred place. If you do so, do it but don’t expect people to support your individual decision.

2. Jamie Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 7:56 am

Amen! It’s nice to see a celebrity not beat around the bush.

3. Nick Alexander Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 10:35 am

AMEN!!!! Phil would lay down his own Life for just one of those Murdered Babies.. Would YOU? Dont let em shake you Phil. GOD will Truly Bless you even more than he has.

4. Kelley Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 10:39 am

I think Phil had it right. I hate abortion, It IS murder.

5. Please Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 10:41 am

Where are you when the baby is born. How many adopted children do you have? Do you go to foster homes every week to support the children? So all the children tortured, beaten, and a whole lot worse are not your concern when they come out of the womb? We are not asking you to agree. Just let have our convictions just as I will let you have yours without questioning what kind of person you are.

6. Alderene Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Please – abortion is currently legal. Therefore all the children tortured, beaten and a whole lot worse could have been aborted if their mother chose, but they didn’t. So the fact that they abuse, neglect or abandon their children has nothing to do with abortion.

7. winebarger Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 12:49 pm

A child is a gift from GOD. That is what my Bible tells me. Everyone will have to answer to GOD for what they have done. I have 2 gifts of my own.

8. Nicole Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Way to go Phil!!! 100% Team Phil, all the way! It is so refreshing to see someone on TV stand up for the word of Christ!

9. StillaDuckFan Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Phil is entitled to his opinion. I disagree for a myriad of reasons, many of which, Please outlines above. Phil also doesn’t have a womb, but he is entitled by the Constitution to freely speak his opinion; but the only one who has a right to decide what happens to my womb is me and if I’m doing something that is so ‘wrong’ and ‘immoral’ then the only one who has the absolute right to judge and punish me for it is God Almighty himself.

10. carol Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Phil has the right to his opinions but best to keep it to himself. He is on a TV show, not some religious show. I’m a female viewer who had put up with DD’s religious endings each week because it was a guilty pleasure. Now Phil has ruined everything by using the show as a platform for his right wing view on abortion. I will miss DD but can, and will no longer watch it. I hope others who feel the same way will boycott the show as it should not be a platform to tell women how to live and think!!! Please tell the network to either cancel their show or move it over to a religious network station…and muzzle the man!

11. R Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Look, I am a liberal, non-religious person. I also love Duck Dynasty and Phil is my favorite. No, I don’t believe you have to be religious to be a good person, but I DO believe that each and every person has a right to their own beliefs and own opinions. If this was a scientist from Discovery Channel speaking of evolution, it wouldn’t make news. I don’t want Christians waging wars on my views, so let’s not wage wars on Christians. Let’s all just let one another be and be ourselves.

12. Kei Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 1:17 pm

He has a right to say whatever he wants but that doesn’t mean he will avoid consequences from what he has said. Personally, no man should EVER have the vote on women’s right. Just because he believes in the fairytale in the sky doesn’t mean anyone else has to go along with what he wants. Once he develops a vagina, he can then speak on women’s rights. Until then, leave the debate to women who were born with a vagina, regardless of the political affiliation.

It will always bother me to see old white men talk about my rights as a woman. He needs to focus on his family and all of those orphans that live within this country before he talks about the unborn.

13. terry Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 5:09 pm

The lady who wants to boycott DD its obvious your the one who wants to use this clip as a platform heck who knows you might have even dug it up and posted it yourself. He did not say this on his show this was probably at a church or some sort of speaking event and his audience that was there must have agreed with him or they would not have been there. The point is he did not say that on his show and you know that, you deliberatly put your own little spin to it and trying to blow it way out of proportion.

14. Charlie Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 1:56 am

Phil is not voicing his opinion, he is voicing the opinion of God almighty,and he does have the right to decide, but obviously some just don’t want God involved in their life, they want to decide for themselves what is right or wrong. So be it, if that is your choice then you will answer for it.

As far as this copycat saying of “fairy tale in the sky goes”, try something new, that one is getting old. The lady who said it bothers her to see old white men talk about her rights as a woman, what’s that all about, racism, older people, or what? Here is a woman with issues, she hates God and old men and especially old white men, and anyone who does’nt specifically agree with her way of thinking. Phil does not use the show to push his religion and purposely does’nt, so to twist things around and make it appear he does is simply a lie and not true. Family values etc he does and that’s good, but I suppose some don’t even like that, but thankfully there are over 11 million others that do. If you like the show watch it, if you don’t like it then don’t watch and quit whinning, be happy happy happy.

15. DuckDuck goose Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 11:04 am

Terry..u r absolutely right- Phil was in a church when he made those comments on abortion. And, I believe ur right again about Carol posting her comments and putting her own spin on the facts. But, that’s a liberal for you- want everyone to be tolerant of their position and stance BUT they have NO tolerance for others…basically, my way or the highway!

16. Charlie Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 1:31 pm

EXACTLY… Carol says Phil should keep his opinion to himself and then goes on and on with her opinion, I guess only her opinion counts, and if you are religious you don’t get to have an opinion in her eyes.

17. John Wren Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 8:02 pm

I don’t have with pro lifers. But why do people call themselves Christian for pro life but yet support the death, senseless killing in stupid senseless wars, and support the stand your ground right kill laws. They are all murder. So which of your sins do you wish GOD to condemn you to hell for. Sure sounds hypocritical to me. As usual americans just don’t get being Christian. Going to church doesn’t make one Christian, living the Christian life every minute of every day does.

18. Lisanne Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Bravo to Phil for stating the truth so eloquently. Every decent person in America, male or female, is entitled to speak about the abomination of abortion. Phil does not have to hide his views from those who are offended.

19. melissa Says:
    August 24th, 2013 at 2:39 pm

I to disagree but that is ok I still love Phil and the rest of them. I Choose to live in America where it is ok to have your opinion. If you disagree and are not going to watch because of it you should think of moving where you are not allowed to have your own opinion. As for moving to a different channel the network knows what all it’s brave men and women have fought for.

20. mel p Says:
    August 24th, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Agree with Phil 100%. I am a well educated, business owning female and am sick and tired of the assumption that all members of the female gender are aboard the abortion bandwagon – completely incorrect and offensive as well. I am delighted that Phil did not choose to stick his head in the sand and remain silent out of fear of angering the “progressive” mindset – they certainly have no problem attempting to enforce their views upon others. I am also tired of the sad old argument that no one should be permitted to have an opinion in the abortion debate unless they are female – termination of human life (government sanctioned at that) has absolutely nothing do with gender.

21. larry smith Says:
    August 25th, 2013 at 8:50 am

If he keeps espousing his religious beleifs the show will tank; people don’t want to hear that crap!

22. anita Says:
    August 28th, 2013 at 7:45 am

I think his opinion does count. I am a woman and I believe a man’s opinion counts because “it takes two” to create a baby. SO NO, I do not believe that what happens in a woman’s womb is just her business. she should keep it closed up if she truly believes that and not allow any one to make a deposit. Problem solved!!! p.s. war, capital punishment and all that other stuff has nothing to do with this topic. GO elsewhere for those comments, John.

23. Karen Says:
    August 29th, 2013 at 10:33 am

It’s great to see a Christian standup for his beliefs. I believe a women has a right to use protection if she doesn’t want something growing in her womb. We all know what causes it and how to prevent it. Use a condom instead of abortion and stop killing innocent babies.

24. JR Says:
    August 29th, 2013 at 6:07 pm

In regard to “Stand Your Ground” and hipocracy

Many people, Christians included, assume that Christ taught pacifism. They cite Matthew 5:38-39 for their proof. In this verse Christ said: “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.”

The Sermon on the Mount from which this passage is taken deals with righteous personal conduct. In our passage, Christ is clearing up a confusion that had led people to think that conduct proper for the civil government — that is, taking vengeance — was also proper for an individual.

Even the choice of words used by Christ indicates that He was addressing a confusion, or a distortion, that was commonplace. Several times in the rest of the Sermon on the Mount Christ used this same “you have heard it said” figure of speech to straighten out misunderstandings or falsehoods being taught by the religious leaders of the times.

Contrast this to Christ’s use of the phrase “it is written” when He was appealing to the Scriptures for authority (for example, see Matthew 4 where on three occasions during His temptation by the devil, Christ answered each one of the devil’s lies or misquotes from Scripture with the words: “it is written”).

To further underscore the point that Christ was correcting the religious leaders on their teaching that “an eye for an eye” applies to private revenge, consider that in the same Sermon, Christ strongly condemned false teaching: “Whoever therefore breaks one of the commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven…” (Matthew 5:19). Clearly, then, Christ was not teaching something different about self defense than is taught elsewhere in the Bible. Otherwise, He would be contradicting Himself for He would now be teaching men to break one of the commandments.

The reference to “an eye for an eye” was taken from Exodus 21:24-25 which deals with how the magistrate must deal with a crime. Namely, the punishment must fit the crime. The religious leaders of Christ’s day had twisted a passage that applied to the government and misused it as a principle of personal revenge.

The Bible distinguishes clearly between the duties of the civil magistrate (the government) and the duties of an individual. Namely, God has delegated to the civil magistrate the administration of justice. Individuals have the responsibility of protecting their lives from attackers. Christ was referring to this distinction in the Matthew 5 passage. Let us now examine in some detail what the Scriptures say about the roles of government and of individuals.

Both the Old and New Testaments teach individual self defense, even if it means taking the assailant’s life in certain circumstances.

Self-Defense in the Old Testament

Exodus 22:2-3 tells us “If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed. If the sun has risen on him, there shall be guilt for his bloodshed. He should make full restitution; if he has nothing, then he shall be sold for his theft.”

One conclusion which can be drawn from this is that a threat to our life is to be met with lethal force. After the sun has risen seems to refer to a different judgment than the one permitted at night. At night it is more difficult to discern whether the intruder is a thief or a murderer. Furthermore, the nighttime makes it more difficult to defend oneself and to avoid killing the thief at the same time. During the daytime, it better be clear that one’s life was in danger, otherwise, defense becomes vengeance, and that belongs in the hand of the magistrate.

In Proverbs 25:26 we read that “A righteous man who falters before the wicked is like a murky spring and a polluted well.” Certainly, we would be faltering before the wicked if we chose to be unarmed and unable to resist an assailant who might be threatening our life. In other words, we have no right to hand over our life which is a gift from God to the unrighteous. It is a serious mistake to equate a civilized society with one in which the decent people are doormats for the evil to trample on.

25. Jim Ehrenfeld Says:
    August 30th, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Women always have a “choice”. It is called abstinence! The Bible I read, challenges women and men to wait until they are married to consummate the marriage. It is very sad, that in this age of me! me! me!, we are so self centered that we must satisfy are carnal urges, without considering the consequences.

26. Mimi Says:
    August 31st, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Some of these people trying to justify murdering children by abortion because they would be better off than child abused? What is this country coming to with regard to attitudes towards children, the most innocent and helpless citizen. I appreciate a real man standing up for kids. It’s about time!

27. Susan Fesagaiga Says:
    September 1st, 2013 at 9:30 am

First of all, I respect and admire Phil for taking his stand as a Christian regardless of his celebrity status. He doesn’t even act like a celebrity. Just himself. As for all those who disagree with pro-life..I see you were one of the “blessed” ones whose mother didn’t decide to get rid of you. Otherwise, you wouldn’t be here commenting, would you? “You” got a “life” sentence. They got a “death” sentence. And they were just as innocent “as you”. How selfish does it sound for someone “with life” to condone sentencing death to an “unborn child”. Think about it.

28. pam Says:
    September 4th, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Good job Phil its nice too here someone talk with some since if the world would go back to Jesus Christ this world would be a better place too be we have no right too take a life for any reason except murder as soon as that chikd is concieved it has a soul the children that the Lord gives us are gifts they all belong too him we will all see one day that no matteer what you have in life without the LORD you have nothing

29. Geri Says:
    September 5th, 2013 at 7:09 pm

I support Phill!!

30. gin Says:
    September 6th, 2013 at 11:45 am

abortion is wrong. a little person is formed at the time of conception and I believe it should be given the chance to live. The things we encounter as children helps us to becaome who we are as adults. Live your life the best you can and turn the hurt into something postive in you life. A baby is a joy don’t let Satin rob you of that joy!
    Put it in the hands of the Lord Almighty Jesus Christ and let him help you!

31. Deb Says:
    September 8th, 2013 at 8:18 pm

I agree with Phil 100%! Abortion is murder.

32. Denise Says:
    September 9th, 2013 at 9:09 pm

I admire & appreciate Phil’s comments, regardless if they were spoken from a pulpit or a street corner…… I was formally adopted when I was 2 weeks old-56 years ago. My 16yo Mother entered a home for un-wed mothers the day before I was born. She signed herself out, against medical advise the next day. I PRAY for her Salvation very day. By God’s grace & mercy I was adopted into the most amazing, inspiring & loving Christian homes possible. God has blessed me in ways I never thought possible. My Prayer is that many many people will hear the still soft voice of God coming through the entire Roberson clan. Way to go A&E for bringing this amazing family into our homes!!!!

33. kitty Says:
    September 10th, 2013 at 12:35 am

Love Duck Dynasty for it’s entertainment value. Their beliefs and ideas don’t match mine. Who cares. We have separate church and state for this reason. Logic.

34. Patti Horton Says:
    September 10th, 2013 at 1:43 am

Considering The Bible is a book written rewritten reworded and who knows what else it has no more weight here than Gone with The Wind.. Phil has the right to express his BELIEFS which is what they are BELIEFS as is Religion. That is fine he believes ABORTION is WRONG others BELIEVE Abortion is not.. Facts are Facts it is a womans choice to do with her body as she sees fit. I wonder.. If before having sex if the woman announced If I get pregnant I will have an Abortion if the man Christian or not would continue. Im betting yes they would….

35. kathy berola Says:
    September 14th, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Whether or not u have the same opinion as Phil, I am upset to the fact it’s seems USA going to hell! This is supposed to be a country of freedom of speech! So tired of all the groups jumping into to blast anything anyone who don’t share the same beliefs!What about Christian rights? All I can say is Phil keeping on praying for all of us! Thanks!

36. hanna Says:
    September 16th, 2013 at 2:06 pm

#10 Carol, you are an idiot !!!!!!I have homosexual ,disgusting crap shoved down my throat on every damn channel I turn on and I do not agree with it so if Phil or the jolly green giant believes differently from you, you think they should be boycotted. you have a brain the size of a knat,I hope to hell you don’t vote .Good damn riddance .

37. Gail T. Says:
    September 19th, 2013 at 7:22 am

Amen Phil. He has the duty as a Christian to speak out on this issue.
    John Wren: How can you compare abortion to the stand your ground law? Is a fetus attacking a woman?
    Carol: If Duck Dynasty should be put on a religeous channel, than Modern Family should be on a homosexual channel. That is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.
    Those of you that say a man has no right to speak on abortion are wrong. If you are childless or petless, would you avoid speaking out if you see the abuse of a child or animal? The first jobs we were given was to be stewards of the earth and be fruitful and multiply. How is abortion doing that job?
    We woman have choices. Abstinence and Adoption. Our country should be supportive of the adoption process and pregnant women in the work force.

38. 2Cents Says:
    September 19th, 2013 at 11:43 am

He is absolutely correct. I stand by him 100%

39. Beverly Says:
    September 19th, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Phil is right. Abortion is murdering your unborn baby. Get all the information available before making the decision to kill your own baby. Lots of good people would love your baby and take care of your precious child, if you are unable to do so. At the moment of conception a real person is formed. It is a decision you can never take back.

40. Marlin Says:
    September 19th, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Phil s right. Anti-life people time will judge us just like we judge Hilter. Think about it.

41. stacy Says:
    September 22nd, 2013 at 3:07 pm

I find it interesting anytime these discussions come about there is a ton of finger pointing and judgment about what the WOMEN should do, but there are a couple of glaringly obvious facts that always seem to avoid being mentioned…The most important being that women don’t get pregnant by themselves!!! And often times when abortion is chosen, there is a man right behind her helping pay for it. Yet, no ever condemns the man, just the woman. There is also never any mention of the women who ended pregnant out of an act forced on them and not one they choose. For example, 10 and 11 year old girls who are violated, who will be forever be damaged because of it, but in societies eyes it appears the method at which she became pregnant is completely irrelevant and it’s absolutely acceptable to extend their trauma for the sake of giving birth. As far as the women and/or men who actively take precautions to not get pregnant because they don’t want to have a child, well if they happen to get pregnant, they too are just as careless and deserve the same judgment, right?

Then there is people like me who had a child born with a heart defect that actually had no impact on the her until she was born and required to breath. That action is absolutely what set in motion her extremely painful and horrible death. It was excruciating for her and all that could be done was give her a great deal of morphine while the doctors figured out what to do. Four hours after she was born, I had to make the decision to take my child off life support, watch as her heart beat for the last time, and then three days after she came into this world, she was laid to rest, forever to not be a part of it. I was 22 years old!!! Knowing that you are responsible for ending the life of your child is a lot to carry at any age, let alone 22! I had two children after that who were both required to be given a specific sonogram to make sure they had all the necessary blood vessels and arteries attached to their heart, which my first daughter was missing. Praise the Lord, they were there because had they not been, I had two choices…have a late term abortion or give birth to a child that I knew would die shortly after because nothing could be done for them. Surgery would not have been option for a few reasons. Heart surgery on an infant in 1998 was not really done, there was no precedent at the time (in her hospital at least) for it being done, and the artery was had the circumference of a coffee straw and the length of a macaroni noodle. I also had a history of having premature babies who were very small, further complicating things. We are not talking about a genetic test that is susceptible to human error in a lab because had that been the case I would have gladly prayed my heart out and taken what God gave me. We are talking about a black and white issue, very clear and distinct blood vessels that EVERY human being is required to have in order to live and that were not going to suddenly grown later. And to those who are going to say “why did you have anymore after her death”, I will say this was not something I had a history of, that my family had a history of, and was an extremely rare occurrence making it extremely unlikely it would have appeared again, but not impossible.

Thank GOD, it was never a choice I had to make and even though my 3rd and 4th child were preemies and had their own issues, their heart was healthy. I cannot say what I would have done had the situation arose because there would have been NUMEROUS factors to take into account. So while I can’t say what I would have done, what I can say is that I don’t believe ANY person on this planet would have the right to tell me what would be the best thing to do, let alone judge me for it, especially those who HAVE NEVER been in this position. Things are ALWAYS much easier to decide when you are dealing in hypotheticals or “what if’s”, but it is NEVER that clear when you are standing in the middle of the nightmare. I also wholeheartedly agree with whoever said those who believe in prochoice are just giving their opinion, yet many of those who believe abortion is murder, don’t just state it as an opinion, they also make judgments about the type of person you must be if you don’t share their view. How do you get to decide that?

I am not a person who in anyway supports people choosing abortion for the sake of “doing away with” what they consider to be a consequence of being irresponsible one night. I believe if you think you are mature enough to play on the “sex playground” then you need to make sure you are prepared to play by the rules and take responsibility for actions. If not, then stay out! I also want to make it clear that had I been put in the position of choosing and chose abortion, it would have NOT have had anything to do with not wanting the hassle of burying another child. It would have been because I watched with my own eyes what happens when a baby is born with this defect and the amount of suffering involved. It is not something anyone should ever have to see or witness in anyone, let alone their own child!!!

42. Willie Mccloud Says:
    December 29th, 2013 at 11:10 am

Nothing wrong with all of his comments because i believe in what he says also being a Christian myself however with those remarks as a Christian we also have the responsibility to speak Hope as well as Judging the quotes are from the Bible however lets go further into and let them Know how they can be saved.The judgments alone with out out the good news is just self serving to tell people about the sins as a means hope to preach the Gospel, about the good news of Jesus Christ we have to also tell about how to repentance and hope. If not we just sound like a bunch of racist Homophobes using religion to bash people with, instead acting as ambassadors of Christ, I do not think this is the case.However the message says different.We have a responsibility as a Christian to not just say we are we are to set a example.We just can not Condemn if we do tell someone that what they are doing is bad and quote from the Bible lets go further into it and tell about the Hope of Change. The judgment with out the hope.Is self centered and turns people away.It is not a very good example of a christian.Just my opinion.I am a African American and a student (business)and i enjoy the show i will continue to watch it.It just hurt to see people being turned away from God By the bashing of people with their misrepresentations of Christ.

Comments