Evelyn Lozada Admits She Would Still Be Married If Abuse Was Kept Private

August 21, 2013 10:24 AM by Lisa Princ

What a whirlwind the past year has been for Basketball Wives star Evelyn Lozada, who married and divorced Chad Johnson in a short time frame after he head-butted her, landing her in the hospital. Now that the new season of the show is airing, Evelyn has to relive all of the painful moments surrounding her domestic violence dispute, and she even admitted that if the abuse was kept private, she would still be married. Yikes!

It’s definitely a good thing that the domestic abuse of Evelyn Lozada by her husband at the time, Chad Johnson was evident for all to see, because otherwise, Lozada says it would have likely been swept under the rug. “I had physical scars. Obviously, I had to go to the hospital. I’m going to admit if there wasn’t, I probably would have went right back in that house and would have brushed it under the rug…I wouldn’t have wanted the world to know,” Lozada recently told Access Hollywood.

And now, as the new season of Basketball Wives is airing, viewers will get a chance to see exactly how Evelyn had to deal with the split. While Lozada says it’s still hard for her to watch it all, she also admitted that she is indeed moving on with her life – without any contact from Johnson. In fact, she even has a new outlook on her experience: “I consider it such a huge blessing. Even though it was a very traumatic time for me…It’s a huge blessing. As Iyanla Vanzant told me: ‘I was a lesson to him, and he was a blessing to me,’” Evelyn explained.

What do you think of Evelyn Lozada’s abuse from Chad Johnson? Are you tuning into the new season of Basketball Wives?. We know you have an opinion, and we want to hear it. Comment below to share your thoughts with us!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook! Click here for more information about Basketball Wives. For other great reality TV news, please feel free to check out Sir Links A Lot.

Photo Courtesy of WENN

Topics: Basketball Wives, VH1 Reality TV Shows |

28 Responses to “Evelyn Lozada Admits She Would Still Be Married If Abuse Was Kept Private”

1. renee Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 10:55 am

I was never a big Evelyn fan, but after watching her interviews with Ms. Vanzant and now seeing her relive the horrid experience on Basketball Wives, I realize that although she aesthetically has been blessed, she’s lived quite the life of pain and confusion. I really feel sorry for her and hope that this experience, along with losing her loved ones, will help her grow into the woman I know she can be. Good luck to you girlfriend!

2. Ashley Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 11:12 am

Thats Crazy That She Would Actually stay after he did that to her but its goood that it was public so she can learn and grow from it !

3. Simone Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 11:22 am

Abuse is not acceptable rather you are in the public eye or not. I’m glad she decided not to give him another chance like Tammi told her she should. Once an abuser always an abuser. I would have to say that Tammi did not think of Evelyn as much of a friend to give her advise like that. As much as I don’t li ke Evelyn’s behavior on the show, noone deserves to be abused like that disgusting Chad did to her, over her finding condoms or receipt for them in the car. She i9s better off without that loser. Her daughter told her that she never really liked Chad and she told her mother that before but her mother didn’t listen. Your children can see through men that come into their mother’s lives do never underestiamte what your childrens views maybe about the person you are seeing.

4. Trice Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 12:07 pm

I’m glad it was publicized and she got out. A woman should know her worth and until the whole world knew, Evelyn had no clue of her worth. Now that it is all over and episode one of basketball wives is over, I hope we are not subjected to hearing all about Evelyn’s life and how she will rebuild herself for the remainder of the season because quite frankly the fact that they spent an entire hour on Evelyn made me mad.

5. Terriedc Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 1:08 pm

It’s ironic that Evelyn, who jumps off tables and tries to hit folks with bottles got head butted by her husband. Glad she is OK, but I don’t believe most of what she says and really don’t care.
    And, No more Basketball Wives for me.Shaunie is fake, Tami is crazy, Suzie is a media whore – the new one is the only real Basketball Wife. These women are embarrassing to women and VH1 should be ashamed.

6. Laila Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 4:39 pm

I don’t believe anything Evelyn says, she is a lier and a fame whore. She is a documented abuser with an anger management problem and absolutely no talent whatsoever. If she didn’t have Chad to talk about, she would have faded into obscurity already. Not buying what she’s trying to sell, no sympathy, don’t believe her bs story either.

7. Familygirl Says:
    August 21st, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Oh wow… She looks about 59 yrs old without all the lighting, airbrush and make up. Being evil inside sure ages you….

8. Haha Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 4:48 am

She should have stayed her azz in the car and took that head butting then….

9. kATHY Smith Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 10:06 am

I totally agree with terriedc, she acted like a foo, she and Tami are BULLY’S their names should be by the word in the dictionary, so I guess Evelyn wants us to feel sorry for her, well I do but you get what you give. No-one should put their hands on another person including a man, now Ms. Evelyn will think the next time she try’s to put her hands on someone…..

10. Me Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Holy crap!! When I first saw this image I thought it was Lenny Kravitz!!! and I love him! she looks BUSTED with a capital B. I have my off days but DAMN!!!!

11. ann Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 7:39 am

Once your in the spotlight,what happens in your life becomes public.She knew what type of man Chad was when she married him.What type of example does she set for her daughter with her violence and saying she would have stayed married to Chad whom her daughter doesn’t like.If she really didn’t wanted her personal business out there,she wouldn’t be on Basketball Wives again talking about it

12. Jan Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Evelyn I wish you all the best for the future, I know what it is like to be in that position, you think you had your soul mate by your side, and how can your soul mate abuse you. Just give it time Evelyn, your wounds will heal, you don’t forget but you heal. Love does not hurt you. Love, Loves you……….

13. Mickey Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 8:22 pm

I have no absolutely no respect or sympathy for Evelyn. I have watched this show from the beginning and she has always portrayed herself as a self-centered bully and liar with a mean, violent streak. While I do not condone violence of any sort, watching her jumping across a table to attack someone and other violent acts she has committed throughout the show, she got what was coming to her. If this season continues as the Poor Evelyn Show, then I’m finished watching it. I spent one hour listening to her sob her way through the show, commenting with her friends and the show was thoroughly boring.

14. yashica Says:
    August 24th, 2013 at 2:21 pm

I cant see how she can say if it was kept private she would still be with him. Im pretty sure that everyone has been in a situation that they knew was not right and still stuck around. I’m just wondering was she jumping over tables throwing bottles and plates at him like she was doing on the show??????

15. Gingerbread31 Says:
    August 27th, 2013 at 11:33 am

I agree with Mickey! Sympathy requires respect and I do not have either for her. Chad head-butted her. His reaction shows that he was trying to restrain himself and eventually lost control and based on her bullying behavior, I believe that she triggered his response.

I watched the season premiere and realized that I’m just not into this show anymore.

16. MyClutchedPearl Says:
    August 31st, 2013 at 9:52 pm

I do not believe Evelyn’s story as told by her. I have a very hard time believing that a woman who is as angry and as violent as she is was just screaming at Chad when she found the condoms in the car. Something tells me that she was not only screaming and yelling but she was also being physically violent to him. Women MUST understand that although it may be unacceptable you CANNOT hit a man and always expect for him to let it roll off of his back. Keep your hands to yourself at all times. I believe that when she found the condoms she was enraged.. I think she hit him and I think that he reacted. I just do not believe that a woman who cusses, screams, tears down and jumps across tables at other women would just sit in the car crying and cursing.. there is something else that happened. Tami said the RIGHT thing. Evelyn is talking about missing her family EVERY episode so far.. if you think that y’all can work it out.. WORK IT OUT. that’s all that Tami was saying. Whats really strange to me is the fact that all Evelyn talks about is the abuse part of it.. not that her husband of THREE weeks was already cheating on her.. hmm

17. Truth Says:
    September 1st, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Stick a fork in her….She’s done

18. DavidC Says:
    September 2nd, 2013 at 6:01 pm

She is still ugly from what she did in the past of how se treated Jennifer she show no kinds of remorse until the reunion she had what she had coming Chad was nothing but problems he show it in the NFL I thought the show was call Basketball Wives what in the world she doing marrying a football player I am confuse here explains that.

19. DavidC Says:
    September 2nd, 2013 at 6:07 pm

I have one more thing to say she did something to him I was once marry and my ex was nothing but a fool she acted just the way she did and yes she did hit me so I believe that she did something to him Chad I do not believe that he would hit her unless it have to be self defense I agree with MyCluthedPearl

20. buttercup Says:
    September 14th, 2013 at 4:34 pm

first no women or men deserve to be hit on but sometime people see things and go with the flow when you are in need of someone to love or think that love is what you need things happen she need to find her worth

21. CC Says:
    September 25th, 2013 at 11:54 am

Hate what she went through, and glad she learned from it. But she was a monster of the worse kind on basketball wives, I will NOT be watching the show, it gives women, real women a BAD rep!

22. Toni Says:
    October 7th, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Hey, I don’t know why after this season you guys think B’ball Wives suck. You guys made it a hit for the past 2 or 3 years.

I don’t watch at all. I don’t think this is a fair assessment of who BLACK women are. Most of or none of these women had success before these men. If they did, why aren’t we talking about that instead of what man they’re dating.

It’s like all these woment are defined by who they were married too or dated.

Not good for black women. For we are so much more!

23. Toni Says:
    October 7th, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Don’t want to bash Evelyn or Chad. But she was a meanie and he was a whore. Because he was a baller, she was willing to accept him and all of his faults.

He always acted very immature to me. I watched him play(football)some. What idiot would change his name to his number.

If she was in the market for another child, that is what got; a bratty, spoil, whinney child in Chad “Ocho Cinco”

24. Jae Says:
    October 7th, 2013 at 3:33 pm

ALL the Basketball wives are immature, ridiculous publicity-whoring bitches! Tami is the biggest bully of them all – for claiming to have gone to therapy, I see no change in her jackass behavior. She’s always trying to stir up trouble where there is none, she loves to twist people’s words and actions to fit her demented perspective. The new person is Tami’s mini-me, they both like to talk shit and try to instigate trouble. No class whatsoever.

25. Oona Says:
    October 13th, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Stupid As…….There’s no Dingaling in this world that amazing that would make you wanna stay in a abusive relationship Girl stop!

26. WowJustWow Says:
    October 17th, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Wow… I agree with a lot of the comments.. Yes, I do agree that Evelyn is nuts for saying what she said… however, some of you are BLAMING HER for the abuse inflicted on her by Chad. Having been in this predictament…. I was not only beat up but RAPED by my ex. Did he abuse me prior to raping me? Yep. why did I go back, you ask? Because I thought he would change, and when he didn’t, I tried to break up with him but he wouldn’t leave me alone. In NYC, unless ur the right skin color, police aren’t doing a damn thing for u unless the person puts their hands on u and hurts u really bad. Which he did but the judicial system would need hard proof that he did it to prosecute. fortunately, my attacker CONFESSED on my voicemail to the rape and was sent to jail this past september. So, was I silly to go back? yep… sure was. Was it my fault he assaulted me? Nope.

27. nOt24seven Says:
    October 22nd, 2013 at 9:45 pm

The Evelyn that she is portraying on the reality show is far different from the Evelyn that does the interviews and wants to speak out on abuse and now it’s going to be dragged out on the show. The only thing that would make me accept anything that comes out of her mouth is if she made a public apology to her ex-friend, Jennifer from the show. Jen had warned her from the beginning that Chad was a player but Evelyn did not want to hear what her friend was telling her. What happened in that vehicle between her and Chad was not abuse in the sense of it happening often, it happened that one time and if she honestly had wanted to keep it private, she wouldn’t be public with their business!I stopped watching BBW after the second season I believe because it seemed like the same situation was happening over and over again, being discussed and dragged out for days/weeks/however long it took them to tape a season and I couldn’t take it anymore! The one season where the friendship between Jen and Evelyn was destroyed was ridiculous because Evelyn was acting like a crazed woman, a maniac, someone that didn’t have a daughter, someone that didn’t mind throwing bottles and fists in arguments. She could easily forgive those women for the altercations they would get into on the show, in front of the camera, but when it came to her husband, all of a sudden, that one night was the end of their relationship? I know there was one episode prior to the two getting married where she brought up him using condoms, think I saw clips on a blog, if he wasn’t going to be with just her after their marriage and the fact that she accepted that he would possibly be sleeping with other woman as he called himself “a work in progress.” The marriage was doomed from the jump simply because she was not being honest with Chad when he told her he was going to be unfaithful and because she admired her sister and brother-in-law’s marriage, she didn’t want him to be with anyone else but her. She wants to play both roles of being the aggressor on the reality show but also the victim when it comes to that one night with Chad. I can’t stand how these female celebrities want to drag out what happened to them as though no one else has been in that situation, wanting the attention and sympathy but not helping others in the same situations the physical sense by meeting these other victims, getting their stories out there (which, honestly, is a lot more serious than what they have gone through–specifically speaking about the celebrities who have one incident happen and blow it up as though it was years of abuse) and rather than the focus being on abuse in general, it’s centered on that one female celebrity and the male who also happens to be a celebrity. I mean, honestly, how many people really care about abuse if it is not addressed in celebrity interviews/lives? The stories are only shared because it happens to have more than one celebrity involved..the story of Chad Johnson and some civilian wouldn’t have been in the news for long. Maybe a few hours, made the newsprint but other than that, it wouldn’t have been the topic of discussion of the day in many lives. I could be going through abuse in my life and finally have the courage to speak out about it but my voice would not be heard because someone would refer to Evelyn going through something and making what had happened to them, supersede what happened to me. I just wish people would cut the bull when it comes to abuse, it’s not the topic that make the headlines, it’s who is involved because the awareness of abuse and how it affects lives doesn’t matter to most.

28. NoNotME Says:
    October 30th, 2013 at 11:30 pm

To:MyClutchedPearl,
    Although I do not like or care for Evelyn, because I watch the show in the beginning with her behavior being absolutely redundant; I cannot agree with you that because a woman yells or screams at someone that it is at best plausible that she would hit someone. You stated that you believe she was being physically violent. I had the same discussion with someone today about Rihanna; just because we thinks she screams or sassy or a defender of her cause she somehow provoked Chris Brown; he too, is egotistic, narcistic, etc… I will yell, scream, and attempt to stand my ground; it may not be a great idea, but because I do so does not mean that a womam would follow with hitting or physically attacking a man.
    Men are dominant physically and any female knows that she cannot whoop a man, period. It is not smart it is a death trap. A dominant man, a controlling man, a narcistic man, a possessive man, nor a egotistic man will not allow this to happen. Chad is all of the above. Some women are passive and allow anything from men, in Evelyn’s case everyone saw how demonic her actions were; both physically and verbally, towards women she attempted to bully and abuse- she was literally a dangerous person. What am I trying to say? Evelyn knew who to play that physical mess with, and Chad was not it.

Comments