Phil Robertson Turned Down The NFL For ‘Duck Dynasty’

August 22, 2013 08:00 AM by Lisa Princ

Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty may have made a career out of hunting ducks, but did you know that he was also offered a spot in the NFL? However, Robertson chose to turn it down, and it proved to be the right decision, as Duck Dynasty is now a huge hit on A&E. Read on to find out why Robertson turned down the chance to play football!

Could you actually imagine Phil Robertson anywhere else other than Duck Dynasty? The bearded duck hunter recently revealed that he was given numerous offers to play for the NFL back in his day, but he really did not have interest in pursuing that type of career. Instead, Robertson explained to Access Hollywood: “They said, ‘Why don’t you go in the NFL and play football?’ In the ’60s, the late ’60s, the going price was $60,000. You make the team? 60 grand. I thought, ‘And I miss duck season? And I have large, violent men chasing me trying to stomp me in the dirt?’ It just seemed like a lot of stress and not a lot of money.”

Despite playing in college with the likes of Terry Bradshaw, Robertson is still glad that he chose not to join the NFL, and pursue duck hunting instead. “I ran into my old buddy Bradshaw, for the first time since the locker room back at Louisiana Tech. I ran into him at the LA airport. I said, ‘Bradshaw, you’ve done well, my man.’ And then he started telling me about how many injuries he received,” Phil went on to add.

Luckily for Robertson, his decision paid off well!

Are you a fan of Duck Dynasty on A&E? What do you think of Phil Robertson? We know you have an opinion and we want to hear it. Comment below to share your thoughts with us.

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook!. Click here for more information on Reality TV. For other great reality television news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: Reality TV.

Photo Credit: A&E

Topics: A&E Reality TV Shows, Duck Dynasty |

16 Responses to “Phil Robertson Turned Down The NFL For ‘Duck Dynasty’”

1. carman Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 8:12 am

I think he and his family are the best thing to come along in a long time.If there are people like this in the world,maybe we have a chance.

2. Mike S Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 8:31 am

Phil is the man. Down to Earth man of God. He’s Happy, Happy, Happy…

3. Richard Parker Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 10:32 am

Always good to see rednecks that have succeeded in life. Strong Christian family awesome.

4. Ken Raketa Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 10:34 am

I give them props for making tons of money off of duck and deer lures.
    Their show is scripted and the break away shots of this brother talking about how crazy his uncle is and how dumb his other brothers are-will wear thin by the end of this season.
    And they will be running to the bank with all the money they make off of the ppl. who think they are just like them.
    Even know any real duck hunters?
    “Couch Potatoes.” you aren’t just like them!

5. Julie Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Phil was the starter and Terry Bradshaw was his backup quarterback. That’s how good he was.
    And Ken, I’m curious what a duck and deer “lure” is? I think the word you’re looking for is “call.” Lures are used for fishing. And I do happen to know many duck hunters.

6. Scotty Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 12:59 pm

If you love Phil and Duck Dynasty and live in Socal. Phil will be at this years Harvest Crusade at Anaheim Stadium this weekend Aug 23-25. Along with Phil there will be great Christian bands like TobyMac, Colton Dixon, Third Day and many more. Pastor Greg Laurie and many other top pastors will also be there. Great fellowship and great music. Praise GOD and as Im sure Phil would say hope to see Ya’ll out there. God Bless everybody.

7. james Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 1:36 pm

The headline and article are misleading….He didn’t start doing “Duck Dynasty” until his 60′s, which is way into retirement years for an NFL player. He could of easily played football, and the do what he does now. Turning something down and having it paying it off 40 years later isn’t exactly awesome.

8. Stephen Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Love the show and glad that he knows that all eyes are on him and his family in public. The man speaks his mind, the truth and word of God.

9. Barb Says:
    August 22nd, 2013 at 8:21 pm

I think America is dumbing down more everyday & we’re in a sad state when this is our entertainment on Tv(as well as other reality shows). I do appreciate that it centers around family and they end the show around the table with prayer.

10. Willis Says:
    August 23rd, 2013 at 5:13 am

I was able to see Phil several years ago at a Wild Game supper at a Church in Vidalia, Ga. The experience was awesome.

He is a man of God, speaks the truth, has great love of family, has his health and has done very well in doing something he loves, duck hunting.

We all make choices in life, sounds like he has a reached that elusive goal of self-actualization.

We need more like him.

11. betsy Says:
    August 25th, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Phil is awesome and I love Duck Dynasty.

12. joe marlow Says:
    August 27th, 2013 at 12:16 am

hey did you all use to race in ark if you did you all might know me i race with some robertson in the 70s at smackover ark so let me know ok

13. Michael Matheis Says:
    October 24th, 2013 at 4:53 pm

HOW THE HELL COULD YOU GIVE UP FOOTBALL, IDIOT, I THINK YOU JUST WEREN’T AS GOOD AS YOU OR YOUR COACHES THOUGHT.

14. Michael Matheis Says:
    October 24th, 2013 at 4:59 pm

DON’T GET ME WRONG, I STILL THINK THAT PHIL IS COOL, BUT IN MY OPINION HE’S A DAMN FOOL.

15. Michael Matheis Says:
    October 24th, 2013 at 5:02 pm

YOU DIDN’T KNOW THAT SHOW WAS GONNA BE AS SUCCESSFUL AS IT IS.

16. Scott Allen Says:
    December 23rd, 2013 at 2:38 am

In 1966 Robertson was 1-9 with 4 td’s and and 18 interceptions. Did he start as Qb in 1967? Bradshaw was17-4 in 68-69.

Comments