Billy Ray Cyrus Responds To Miley’s Wrecking Ball Music Video

September 12, 2013 09:23 AM by Stephanie Gustafson

We thought her perfromance at the VMAs was pretty darn scandalous, but now it’s looking like Miley Cyrus was simply getting her feet wet. After all, the singer’s new Wrecking Ball music video has attracted even more scrutiny. But as the rest of the world denounces her reckless ways, Dancing With The Stars alum Billy Ray Cyrus remains his daughter’s staunchest defender. What does Daddy Cyrus think of all the Wrecking Ball drama?

Yes, Miley Cyrus stripped down for her controversial Wrecking Ball music video, but no, her dad is not bothered by her very public display of nudity. According to Billy Ray Cyrus, those who criticize his daughter’s on-camera clothing (or lack thereof) have completely missed the point of the music video. “It wouldn’t have mattered if Miley would have worn jeans and a flannel shirt, a tux or a nun’s habit…her performance vocally on the tune reflects her root and sheer God-given talent.” And so, in Billy Ray’s opinion, it is this vocal talent and not the presence of nudity that accounts for the single’s success. And whether or not they agree with this viewpoint, critics must acknowledge that, as the country crooner and proud father alleges, “the song’s a smash.”

This is not the first time Billy Ray has lent Miley his support in the aftermath of a major controversy. When the celeb found herself lambasted in response to the infamous VMA twerkathon, she received a comforting tweet from the father: “Thanking God for so many blessings tonight. Continue to pray for world peace. More love…less hate.”

Do you agree with Billy Ray Cyrus? Should the naysayers stop whining about nudity and pay more attention to Wrecking Ball’s musical content? Feel free to share your opinion in the comments section below!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook! Click here for more information about American Idol. For other great reality TV news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: American Idol.

Photo Credit: ABC

Topics: ABC Reality TV Shows, American Idol, Dancing With the Stars, FOX Reality TV Shows, MTV Reality TV Shows, Punk'd |

25 Responses to “Billy Ray Cyrus Responds To Miley’s Wrecking Ball Music Video”

1. Katherine Says:
    September 12th, 2013 at 4:05 pm

That’s what’s wrong with our young people when parents do not have morals. It’s a sad thing to here a father say its fine to bare all for all the public to see. Fathers or anyone should not see a daughter naked. You don’t need to be naked to get a point across. So disappointed with how the young people think they need to go that far.

2. Sabrina May Says:
    September 12th, 2013 at 4:10 pm

The song itself is very good, but the nudity and licking makes a mockery of the seriousness of the song. The song is clearly heartfelt and emotional but all seriousness is lost after the nakedness and licking appears. If I had heard this song on the radio and never heard of or seen the video I would say it was very relatable for everyone.

3. Linda Says:
    September 12th, 2013 at 4:53 pm

I think it’s a shame that a man that once had such good intentions for his daughter,would actually be proud that she was able to grow into the fame status by drawing on children to love and admire her then when she got where she wanted she totally disrespected these same children.
    I am so sick of hearing how she is a adult,like that makes it right to throw such smut in the faces of these children she once needed.
    I know many adults of which none get naked on a ball anywhere let alone in front of where kids can view it.
    I’m sick of hearing don’t let kids see it if you don’t like it though its put out there where they will be sure to see it.
    Since she is a adult and tells it so often and does what any common stripper does everyday she should have to only be viewed on the adult channels .
    I wonder if a common person would make their own video and have Miley’s VMA act and her setting on ball naked act in it would they be liable for some crime?

4. Linda Says:
    September 12th, 2013 at 7:54 pm

5. Elizabeth Says:
    September 12th, 2013 at 8:06 pm

What can Daddy say,was a time he didn’t agree with this type behavior but that was before his child became what she is.
    He also knows many children admired Hannah and from these children she got where she is now its ok if she just shows them disrespect.
    All you hear is a adult,is this how we teach our children you act as a adult,I sure hope not.
    An adult act as hers belongs on a adult channel so lets put it where it belongs.
    Wonder how far the common stripped would get with this same kinda video or in front of kids doing the same miley VMA performance

6. Morgan Says:
    September 12th, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Miley can have a sex video scandal leaked and Billy would still defend and support her slutiness.
    “A dad in his own way”

7. Huhhhh Says:
    September 12th, 2013 at 9:26 pm

No Responses to “Billy Ray Cyrus Responds To Miley’s Wrecking Ball Music Video”

Linda Says: Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    September 12th, 2013 at 4:53 pm

8. 2minutes Wasted Says:
    September 13th, 2013 at 3:59 am

Wow, Miley, 2013 – all your money and you can’t come up with something better than that?

Well, that is 2 minutes I will never get back.

Predictable and pathetic.

9. dreamin Says:
    September 13th, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Come on people. For the love of all that is Holy, this IS is daughter. I am sure that he raised her with very fine morals. She is also 20 yearss old. We all do Crazy things when we are 20 years old. Cut her and her old man some slack.

10. Ricardo Henzie Says:
    September 13th, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Sorry Billy……I’ve lost respect for you mate….

11. Charles Ferguson Says:
    September 13th, 2013 at 10:56 pm

In my opinion of this whole ordeal is that she is a grown up and can do what she wants. I also believe that you should not be ashamed to show your body no matter your size or celebrity status. I didn’t understand the licking of the sledge hammer, but the nudity could represent bearing all to the person that wrecked her life. Her father says that she could wear a flannel shirt and jeans and still sell and I agree but from a artist stand point I think it has meaning.

12. Katrina Says:
    September 14th, 2013 at 6:46 am

Times change. When I was 20 I was doin stuff like that just thing is I’m not famous lol. I’m sure all ur little darlings will do drugs drink n all the crazy stuff that goes with being teen it young adult. They just wont tell u. I’m am now married with a child. Billy ray is being realistic what’s he guna do ground her? Stop her allowance? She’s obviously got fire better to express it in music n radical fashion than murdering people! People bad mouthing isn’t guna stop her. If u don’t like it don’t read the articles turn tv off. Simple! Stop moaning bout other people’s lives n get on with your own!!

13. Gena Reynoldson Says:
    September 14th, 2013 at 8:12 am

Miley is an artist, and will probably go down in history as one of the famous “wild child” inductees. I’m pretty positive this is not exactly what God had in mind for her, but then again, she’s not unlike some of the artists that have come before her. The music industry is BIG and I’m sure those with this very special talent have to think up new and different ways to get noticed, and to keep earning money for their lavish lifestyles. She’ll come down to earth someday to get married and have kids. She’s a Free Spirit. If you compare her free spirit to Charlie Sheen, Lindsay Lohan, or even Marilyn Monroe; you would put Miley above them. As far as I know she is “clean”, no drugs, no drinking, just a very talented young lady who is out to get a reaction to her energetic lifestyle. She’s smart, she’s talented, and if left alone she will earn more than most who are out on the edges. I would say she’s topped Lady Gaga. She’s her own person and her family should love and support her; she’s their daughter, what else would you expect? It’s called unconditional love. It’s the same love God has for all of us. Some of us just don’t do what Miley does. I’ve heard her sing “Jolene”. If there’s anybody who says Miley can’t sing or hold a tune, just listen to her on this song.

14. Katie Says:
    September 14th, 2013 at 10:09 pm

I am so sadden to see that our society finds this behavior in front of our kids is ok.
    I guess people dont watch the news and see all the violence that is aimed at our children.
    Bet the same ones who think this behavior is ok are ones whom also ask what is happening to this world when innocent children are harmed.But have no problem with one ,not only , but one of the problems that keep our nation unsafe for our young.But that’s ok if society shows our children it’s ok to get naked as long as you are in pain and trying to show it,and it makes me sick to hear ,she’s a adult.So freakin what.Being a adult doesn’t mean you act like a common slut.i also bet most of you have had people in your life that have done less than miley but you also called slut or whore.Being a celebrity makes you no different or better than young girls whom are being bullied and humiliated because she made one mistake and has to be tormented for it.Really you need to open your eyes to what is going on around you and quit being star struck .
    Maybe one day when your time comes to answer for your actions you can stand before God and say ,Well I thought it was ok because it was art,see how far that gets you

15. Debra Says:
    September 30th, 2013 at 6:09 am

The only reason he is supporting her is because if he says anything negative she will cut him off!! Sad but true.

16. Diane Says:
    October 1st, 2013 at 10:27 pm

well if people would stop worrying about being nude this life we live in would be a better place in deed. i think Miley dad was right.

17. Diane Says:
    October 1st, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Billy Ray Cyrus has his own money he don’t need Miley’s money

18. Craig Says:
    October 8th, 2013 at 4:00 pm

I’m not surprised… just look at him… he’s wearing a knit cap like those retarded teenagers. What a retard!

19. Lucy Mercer Says:
    October 13th, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Oh my! Never paid much attention to Miley. I noticed more of her bad judgement and shameful behavior. Haven’t noticed her voice. Too shocked to notice her voice. I must say that I have been aware of other young singer’s who have wonderful voices. Pretty too!! they do not need to go naked go be noticed. So I see why see took her clothes off. She had to get your attention. Too my much competition otherwise. Next will be a sex tape. Just watch and see.

Too bad!! Too much competition for her!!! What people will do to get noticed!!

20. Linda Says:
    October 14th, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Really, Craig?! You need to watch your mouth!! Your callus comment and name calling disgust me far more than Miley and her Dad!!

21. sylvia Says:
    October 30th, 2013 at 4:21 pm

MILEY CYRUS IS A TOTAL DISGUST TO SOCIETY. HER FATHER WHAT A JOKE HE SAYS HE SUPPORTS HER. IS HE BUYING HER OR WHAT?.
    IF OBVIOUSLY THIS IS WHAT SHE IS ALL ABOUT, WHY DOESN’T SHE GO AND GET HIRED AS A STRIPPER IN A CLUB SOMEWHERE FAR AWAY, CUZ THAT IS REALLY WHAT SHE IS DOING.

22. Rosemary Ball Says:
    November 2nd, 2013 at 12:42 am

Well a parent, especially a father should not make her feel like a sleeze. He loves his daughter and should not be criticized for not making her look worse than so many are. I honestly am grossed out by her video and tongue, but he didn’t need to be-rade her and make her feel like some kind of slut. There are enough people trying to do that and no girl needs to hear that from her own Father. So I do not blame him for sticking up for her. Do I think her video is in poor taste? Yes! I wish she would keep the tongue in her mouth… it’s gross, but that is my opinion only. Dad did nothing wrong here, as far as I am concerned and she is still finding herself. It’s a little hard to watch and I worry, as a mother for her, but that is me. It is hard to watch peoples judgement though. So many jerks, and I tell you that is more disgusting than anything you think you have such a right to share your mean comments on. I understand a little, but wow, people can be cruel.

23. Linda Says:
    November 2nd, 2013 at 10:53 pm

As pretty and talented as she is, she shouldn’t have to resort to nudity or obscene dance routines to get our attention. But she’s about to turn 21. She doesn’t need her dad’s approval, but she is very fortunate to have his support. Doesn’t need our approval, either.

I enjoyed her performances on 2-1/2 Men and more recently, hosting SNL.

24. Kyla houle Says:
    November 4th, 2013 at 7:51 pm

I think that Miley’s dad totally handled that wrong. Would you people of the world want your daughter to go out and show off her stuff? Miley’s dad needs to think of what Miley could be. She could be a loved singer for a completely different reason, for the reason that her songs are awesome. Her showing off her stuff is completely gross. I love her songs, just not what she does in them. I think she could keep the songs, wear normal clothes and be a normal person I would love her like I used to. She used to be my idol!

25. Lautrell Says:
    December 5th, 2013 at 3:27 pm

I am also disappointed in Miley Cyrus. She
    ” was my grand daughter’s idol- before she started falling off the deep end. With Miley doing the stuff she is doing, I hope that other teen actress / singers do no follow her into that world of ” I will do what I want, when I want and no one can stop me”!! Miley has her life in a big mess!!
    Miley straighten up your act and behave the way a young girl is suppose to act!!

Comments