Duck Dynasty’s Willie Robertson Faces Backlash After Scoring Wine Deal

November 14, 2013 02:30 PM by Lisa Princ

A few seasons ago on Duck Dynasty, we watched as Willie Robertson purchased a winery, only to fail miserably at making a good vino. That, however, did not stop Robertson from continuing to pursue his dream, as it was revealed recently that he had scored a wine deal. But now it seems that the Duck Commander CEO is facing the backlash of dealing with alcohol!

Duck Dynasty fans have another reason to celebrate because our favorite bearded star has scored a wine deal. It was announced recently that Willie Robertson has partnered up the winemakers of the Trinchero Family Estates in Napa, which will bring us three types of wine from Robertson: Triple Threat Red Blend, Miss Priss Pink Moscato, and Wood Duck Chardonnay, because well, Willie believes that everyone should be able to have an inexpensive, yet delicious wine. “Yuppie folks ain’t the only ones who can enjoy good wine. This is good wine for good people, and it’s made by good people,” Robertson said of the wine, which is set to hit Walmart stores for under $10 a bottle.

However, Robertson is now facing the backlash of his new wine deal. One religious group, Family Ministries, had a prior deal with Robertson, who was set to speak for them, since his family is known for their Christian values. But since learning that he is now selling wine, Family Ministries has terminated their deal with Willie. “Our greatest responsibility is to the young people we serve. Therefore, we feel that in light of the recent news that the stars of Duck Dynasty are partnering with Trinchero Family Estates to launch Duck Commander Wines, to continue with this event would send mixed messages to the young people who go through our adolescent drug and alcohol program,” Family Ministries development director Derek Bell said in a statement earlier this week.

It’s kind of ironic to learn that Duck Commander has gone into the wine business, as both Phil and Si Robertson have struggled with alcohol in the past.

Was getting in the wine business a bad idea on Willie Robertson’s part? We know you have an opinion and we want to hear from you! Sound off in the comments section below!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook! Click here for more information on Duck Dynasty. For other great reality television news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: Reality TV.

Photo Credit:  WENN

Topics: A&E Reality TV Shows, Duck Dynasty |

29 Responses to “Duck Dynasty’s Willie Robertson Faces Backlash After Scoring Wine Deal”

1. danddhale Says:
    November 14th, 2013 at 4:00 pm

I am so incredibly disappointed with this family that they have let their greed stand in the way of their Christianity. I am proud of Family Ministries and I hope other Christian organizations will pull their stuff. Teenagers are struggling with alcohol everyday and then so they can make a lot more money the Robertsons sign on making wine???? How wrong is that? My grandson loves Duck Dynasty and I would have bought him Christmas presents from Duck Dynasty products but not now. I am done with Duck Dynasty. What a disappointment.

2. Ron Burke Says:
    November 14th, 2013 at 7:11 pm

I am disappointed as well. The first clean show in a long time and they it appears they are not what we thought they were. They were pulled in like so many other Christens. I guess I need to find another favorite show. Enough said!

3. lilbitofnothing Says:
    November 14th, 2013 at 9:49 pm

I am so disappointed in this family. So much for God and faith. The scripture tells us that lest the days be shortened even the elect will be deceived. It also tells us that the those that find themselves getting puffed up with their own pride will be their downfall. I was so hoping that someone would actually stick to their beliefs and not turn Hollywood and let the world enter into their hearts and destroy what God had put into place as a witnessing tool. But now that is all lost. They went from worshiping God, to worshiping money.

4. Todd Sanders Says:
    November 15th, 2013 at 5:25 am

I happen to live in the area where family ministeries is located. I like that you are trying to look out for the kids,however please consider these points.
    1 in the bible Jesus turned water into wine , check the translation from Greek to English yourself, it breaks down to three types of wine the one Jesus made did contain alcohol.
    Drinking is not wrong drunkenous is. So should we not teach the truth and teach respect and moderation. So I ask you to consider by your logic you might find that the Bible and Jesus teaching don’t hold up to your standards..

2 The Robertsons and the duck dynasty have brought family values and somewhat of a national revival back to America to show it ok to still follow the Bible and to speak the word Jesus again. I not great with words but what I’m getting at is GOD is at work here, it’s not our place to judge Willie or his family,if there is any falling away ect GOD will take care of it on his time table.

3 I will leave with this as we as Christians may have some difference of opinion we must be mindful not to slip into something GOD is in control of.
    I pray I don’t offend you this is not meant to offend any one, but I felt convicted to put this up to just ask you to think about it.

5. Steve Says:
    November 15th, 2013 at 10:15 am

There is nothing wrong with Willie getting into wine I don’t believe he is trying to send the message to misuse and abuse alcohol this is merely a hobby as financial investment for Willie and something he has wanted to do as a hobby many of people do it on smaller levels but God has blessed him financially to do his hobby at a higher level than most others can afford to do. Nothing wrong in this picture.

6. Norm Says:
    November 15th, 2013 at 11:31 am

I come from a Bible Methodist / Holiness background where a drop of alcohol would send you to hell. After reading the Bible for myself and starting my own, personal relationship with Jesus Christ I realize that the Bible teaches that the abuse of alcohol (which is drunkeness) is the sin. The only disappointment I have in the Robertson family decision to market wine is that according to Phil, their success is because God said, “You did good”. They don’t need money, why “toe the line”? No, I don’t think they are any “less Christian” for this decision, but I certainly hope they don’t cause a “brother to stumble”. I read somewhere that Ms. Kay prayed and I believe continues to pray that if the fame and fortune begin to pull their family away from Christ, that He will take the fame and fortune. I believe God answers prayer, so if they are starting to ‘stray’ from Christ, perhaps the fame and fortune will begin to go away. I don’t say that from a covetous mind set. I would love to see them continue to be wealthy, but I would much rather see their influence turn America back to Christ.

7. T Simpkins Says:
    November 15th, 2013 at 11:39 am

Disappointed is an understatement. The Robertsons are all role models especially to our youth. Willie, what were you thinking? It can’t be money. You have tons of it. The message you are sending is it is ok to drink wine. Many of our youth will use you to justify drinking. Ask yourself is it worth it?

8. Mersea Says:
    November 15th, 2013 at 2:33 pm

I don’t have a problem with Willie having a winery and I am a Born Again Christian! In fact I already have a bottle of “Miss Priss” in pink camo decorating a shelf in my kitchen! I am a Breast Cancer Survivor and I am tickled “PINK” to have it! I just think some people are a bit uptight over the matter. Our youth deals with a lot of hard issues in their lives and I doubt that finding out that some adult Christians drink wine in their homes is going to be a big deal, plus it just might make them feel more at ease knowing that Christianity isn’t so straight laced and hard headed. Jesus not only drank wine, He made wine….

9. Josh Carrasco Says:
    November 15th, 2013 at 3:39 pm

I pray that I do OFFEND all of you who are so holy as to pass judgment!! SHAME on you and your lack of knowledge of the faith you claim to follow!!!! You know nothing of God or of Jesus Christ, or of his word. Wine was the first miracle. Wine is used in Jewish festivals to this day. Jesus was in fact a Jew remember? Nobody is saying go get drunk. The stance that wine is not Christian is strictly an old Puritan and Quaker view, it is NOT a Biblical view. In 1st Timothy 5:23 “stop drinking only water, and use a little wine for your stomach.” So go ahead and judge like the Phariees.

10. Liz Says:
    November 15th, 2013 at 9:53 pm

AMEN………
    I AGREE WITH TODD…..
    WHO ARE WE TO JUDGE?
    I STILL LOVE WILLIE AND HIS FAMILY…..
    THANK YOU!!!!

11. Liz Says:
    November 16th, 2013 at 3:10 am

stupid idea

12. jessie shehan Says:
    November 17th, 2013 at 2:20 pm

lose the wine its not the christian thing to do

13. jessie shehan Says:
    November 17th, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Phil, thanks for spreading the word of my lord and savior jesus christ. do you know jim spencer.>//??????

14. jessie shehan Says:
    November 17th, 2013 at 2:26 pm

miss Kay i need a pillow with your picture on it im tired of sleeping with Phil . I woould rather sleep with a beautiful woman

15. jessie shehan Says:
    November 17th, 2013 at 2:29 pm

si i am also a viet nam vet and a nut and people have been calling me a fat unkle si . i am delighted . keep up the good work of Jesus Christ

16. jessie shehan Says:
    November 17th, 2013 at 2:34 pm

jep i also am a baby boy , ant it great . love your parents now while you still have them ,mine are long gone and i miss them

17. jessie shehan Says:
    November 17th, 2013 at 2:36 pm

jase and al keep up the work Christ has sent for you to do , thank you

18. jessie shehan Says:
    November 17th, 2013 at 2:39 pm

to the wifes , thank you for your christian spirit and someone has to look out for the Robertson men, you have your work cut out for you

19. Ron Says:
    November 17th, 2013 at 4:35 pm

I have enjoyed Duck Dynasty and have seen Christian values on the show. I don’t want to ‘judge’ – but I am disappointed in this decision. I don’t think the family needs whatever revenue this may create. In Romans 12:1-22 we are told not to judge, but also not to let our freedom be a stumbling block to another. Jesus set me free from alcohol- I don’t fight the addiction, I am a new creation in Christ – but I don’t want to cause a brother to fall: (from Romans 12) Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a person to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything else that will cause your brother or sister to fall.
    I wish they would have opted out of this. But it is between them and God.

20. ken Says:
    November 19th, 2013 at 7:18 pm

1 Corinthians 6:12

All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

Although this matter will be resolved between the Robertson’s and God alone, I don’t think it will help their crusade and message delivery system they seem to work so hard to build. I personally do not drink alcohol and wish they hadn’t done it. But I will not stop watching their show or stop following them because of it. Although, I will be a little more careful to the details that follow, because of this.

21. Marilyn Says:
    November 21st, 2013 at 10:02 am

Romans 14:21 says “It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother or sister to fall.” It is not a sin to have a glass of wine, but is your right or liberty to have that wine more important than loving people enough to not drink?

22. TODD Says:
    November 22nd, 2013 at 7:01 am

ALTHOUGH I DONT FEEL WE SHOULD JUDGE AS MANY HAVE POSTED WE “JUDGE BY THE FRUIT THEY BARE”. I DO THINK THAT GREED IS THE DOWN FALL OF MANY WHO FOLLOW GOD. AS IT WAS SAID EARLIER WILLIE HAD TRIED ONCE TO DO THE WINERY THING & IT FAILED. MAYBE THAT SHOUD HAVE BEEN AN EYEOPENER FOR HIM & HIS FAMILY BUT HINDSIGHT IS 20/20. OF ALL THE COMMENTS THAT HAVE BEEN MADE ABOUT WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS ABOUT WINE & DRUNKENESS THE PROVERB SCRIPTURE HAS NOT BEEN MENTIONED ” WINE IS A MOCKER , STRONG DRINK IS RAGING & WHOSOEVER IS DECIEVED THERE BY IS NOT WISE”. YOUNG PEOPLE DO LOOK AT UP TO THIS FAMILY & DENY IF YOU WANT THEY DO COPY WHAT WE DO & SAY. :)

23. Melissa T Says:
    November 25th, 2013 at 9:26 am

I feel it is a wrong choice for them to sell wine. I just recently saw a video on Facebook talking about how GOD delivered both Phil and Jep from alcohol and drugs. Why do you want to sit there and praise GOD for your deliverence, then offer up the same thing that he delivered you from to other people. I’m not judging them I’m just saying they are contradicting themselves. If you were truly thankful for your deliverence then you would not create something that could cause other people to get into the same shoes you were “Once in”. I think they have stepped out on this one. I TOTALLY disagree with their choice to make wine and sell it with their picture on the back drop. I have seen the display in Walmart and it really upset me that they chose this. I understand that we all have a free will but I hope that more people will stand against this endevour and that they will realize what they may be doing to someone else. It is someone’s choice to drink but that often comes with a high cost!

24. Sharon Medford Weldon Says:
    November 25th, 2013 at 6:45 pm

I totally agree with Todd Sanders!! very well said Todd!! I also at first thought thought of Jesus turning the water into wine!!! and HOW MANY doctors tell patients to drink a little glass of wine everyday!! I believe they say it is for your heart and other things!!! I absolutely LOVE Duck Dynasty and I havent drank but a tiny bit of wine BUT I believe with áll my heard that Willie and his family prayed and prayer and did not just hull in the deep end of thte pool. AND you have no Idea how many people this family helps. please dönt judge them you dont know their hearts ONLY GOD DOES!!! I got my bottle of Duck Commander Triple Threat today but I ám not going to LOVE IT so much to get DRUNK AND IF I DID it would NOT BE WILLIE IR ANY OTHER ROBERTSONS FAULT

25. none of your business Says:
    December 1st, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Aww y’all shut up. They are grown men not four-year-olds. Hell I can’t stand their wives but that’s their business and they can do whatever the hell they please!

26. Rob M Says:
    December 6th, 2013 at 1:23 pm

The decision disappoints me. Their spiritual advisors should have warned them against doing the wine thing.
    By the way, for thosse who would use the “Jesus turned the water into wine” thing, just do a little study and I think you will find that the wine of that day was not fermented. No alcohol content.
    Several of the family members have had an alcohol problem in the past. It would seem that there would be a lesson learned from their history. I would sure hate for history to repeat itself.
    I have seen all of the angry words above and I sincerely believe each of us can have very diverse and opposing viewpoints without being juvenile. Smile, it’ll make you feel better!

27. stevens Says:
    December 10th, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Being a member of Christ’s Church I , like so many others, have been let down and wondering how a Christian could sell and say its OK to drink any kind of alcohols. Knowing what the bible says about stumbling blocks and showing Christ through your life and actions, you should know better. Yes Jesus did turn water to win, but we all know that grape juice was preserved in that way because they didn’t have a frig. The point is the word of God judges people not us, and from what I read its better to have a mill stone around your neck and thrown into the sea than to cause one of the least of these to stumble. Went to Walmart and I just couldn’t buy anything of there’s for my kids. I felt I was condoning their actions…and we were BIG FANS

28. Dean Says:
    February 14th, 2014 at 8:08 pm

I drank alcohol about 20 years ago and ended up in jail with a DWI. Haven’t drank since, but hey, if it’s good enough for Willie it’s good enough for me. Gonna go get me some after church this Sunday.

29. Luke Says:
    March 21st, 2014 at 3:15 am

So much hatred for just one thing that has happened. Drinking Alcohol is not a sin people its a choice and many people need help with it! And may God help those that need it. Family ministries has made the right choice in separating themselves to help those kids when Willie and others in the Family are getting into winery. I pray God guides them and help in making good and wholesome choices now and in the future.

Comments