« | Home | »

Teresa Giudice’s Request For Separate Trials May Be Dismissed

January 30, 2014 12:00 PM by Suzy Kerr

And the plot thickens in Joe and Teresa Giudice’s upcoming fraud case. The Real Housewives of New Jersey stars recently asked a judge to grant them separate trials when they head to court in April, but prosecutors have now fired back with their own documents that essentially read “hell to the no.”


Joe and Teresa Giudice, who are facing 41 counts of fraud, have been doing everything they can to make their courtroom showdown turn in their favor. Their most recent play was a motion filed by their attorneys asking for separate trials, in the hopes they would not be forced to testify against each other – known as marital privilege – and would be able to defend themselves better.

Prosecutors aren’t having it though, and RadarOnline has obtained a 47-page document detailing the prosecution’s opinion on why separate trials for the two is a bad idea. The memorandum reads, “Teresa and [Joe] appear to share the hope that each may have a better chance of acquittal in a separate trial … This, however, is not sufficient basis to sever two defendants charged as participants in the same conspiracy and fraudulent scheme.”Prosecutors also point out that opting to testify eliminates the couple’s right to marital privilege anyway.

That’s not it, though. The document also goes into detail about Joe’s past assertions that he would testify that Teresa had no knowledge or involvement in several of the fraudulent loan and mortgage application. The prosecution says this “is an inadmissible opinion regarding her state of mind”. In other words, Joe’s testimony about Teresa’s lack of knowledge wouldn’t even matter, since it’s an “inadmissible opinion.”

Finally, prosecutors also touched on Joe’s past legal matters, pointing out that the Real Housewives of New Jersey star hasn’t exactly earned any gold stars in honesty while on the stand. “He provided false testimony under oath on multiple occasions,” reads the document.

So far, the judge hasn’t given an answer on whether or not he’ll side with the Giudices or the prosecution on the separate trials motion, but one thing is certainly clear: the feds are not interested in going easy on the Giudices.

So what do you think about the prosecution’s response to the Giudice’s request? Do you think they should get separate trials, or are the feds right in wanting a single case? Tell us in the comments!

Want more? Follow our tweets on Twitter and like us on Facebook! Click here for more information about The Real Housewives Of New Jersey. For other great reality TV news, please feel free to check out SirLinksALot: The Real Housewives of New Jersey.

Photo Credit: Bravo

Topics: Bravo Reality TV Shows, The Real Housewives Of New Jersey |

« | Home | »

recommended for you


2 Comments »

2 Responses to “Teresa Giudice’s Request For Separate Trials May Be Dismissed”

  1. maryarenas Says:
    February 3rd, 2014 at 4:34 pm

    Call CPS. These two are going away for a long time. children need to be placed in Foster care

  2. Loretta Says:
    February 4th, 2014 at 4:26 pm

    These two are trash. No matter how much money you have a pig is a pig!!!!

Comments



SheKnows Entertainment