Duck Dynasty Star Jase Robertson Talks About Mia’s Surgery And The Controversy

March 28, 2014 05:56 AM by Lisa Princ

duck-dynasty-jase-robertson-opens-up-about-mias-surgery-controversy

This week, fans tuned into A&E for the Duck Dynasty season finale, where Jase Robertson’s daughter Mia geared up for and then underwent her fifth cleft lip and palate surgery. Recently, Jase opened up about putting his daughter out there for public scrutiny, as well as his father Phil’s controversial comments with GQ. What did our favorite bearded redneck have to say?

Most fans seem to agree that Duck Dynasty’s Robertson family are definitely one of a kind, and a refreshing change for us to watch, instead of all the other Kardashian like shows out there. I don’t know about you, but I’d watch Duck Dynasty every night of the week if it was on. Unfortunately though, the show’s season ended this week with Jase and Missy Robertson’s daughter Mia having another surgery for her cleft lip and palate (a condition that 11-year-old Mia was born with).

And many fans were left wondering if Jase and Missy were just a little bit worried about putting their daughter out there for the public to scrutinize. “Of course, that was a worry. There have been times when kids made fun of her for how she looks. We’ve had to have some serious talks about it,” Jase Robertson told People Magazine recently. For the Robertsons though, they want to raise awareness about the condition.

If you’re a fan of the show, then you already know that Jase loves to show his brothers that he is the most manly of the Robertson kids, but that doesn’t mean that deep down inside, Jase doesn’t have some real emotions like the rest of us. In fact, there is nothing that gets Jase more emotional than having to hand off his daughter to a team of doctors. ┬áRobertson even admitted that when they took Mia in for surgery, he lost it.┬áTo learn more about Mia Robertson’s condition, check out Mia Moo Fund, a page the family has set up because they feel that “every child deserves a smile.” We couldn’t agree more!

Meanwhile, Jase Robertson also opened up about the controversy that rocked Twitter or Facebook a few months ago, when Phil Robertson made some comments that some considered to be anti-gay. Robertson said that he felt uneasy about the interview to begin with, and was upset about how it was taken out of context.

“My dad is the most non-racist person I’ve ever been around my entire life. We were taught at an early age that you don’t base any kind of opinion on people’s external appearance. Everyone was made by God. That was the part that made us a little mad, to make it sound like my father is a racist,” Robertson went on to explain. Jase also revealed that when the boys were in school, they would always stand up for those who were different because that is how they were raised.

I don’t know about you, but I love this family more than ever and can’t wait for the new season.

What did you think of Duck Dynasty’s season finale? Comment below to share your thoughts with us!

MORE ON DUCK DYNASTY AND THE ROBERSTON FAMILY

Duck Dynasty Season Ends With Mia Robertson’s Surgery
Duck Dynasty Star Says Show Was Started To Spread God’s Word
Duck Dynasty Beard Wars: Who Has The Best Beard?

Photo Credit: A&E

Topics: A&E Reality TV Shows, Duck Dynasty |

24 Responses to “Duck Dynasty Star Jase Robertson Talks About Mia’s Surgery And The Controversy”

1. Paul Says:
    March 28th, 2014 at 6:35 am

Anything can be spinned into a negative connotation with enough thought. There is something refreshing to this family. A little off kilter… But entertaining. Showing that family, while dysfunctional to a point, is all you really have or need.

2. Joanna Vanderkooi Says:
    March 28th, 2014 at 6:45 am

Loved the finale and love THEM! :)

3. Tony Says:
    March 28th, 2014 at 6:48 am

I loved the last show and can’t wait till the next season starts, the Robertson family is a family like mine. except we are on the poor side of redneck side.

4. d crawford Says:
    March 28th, 2014 at 7:13 am

15 minutes, please be up alreaydy!

5. Junior Says:
    March 28th, 2014 at 7:14 am

I couldn’t believe what the magazine and media started with Phil Robertson because of his beliefs. I will continue to watch the show and be a fan. Funny how nobody says anything about Jamie Fox doing his monologue on Saturday Night Live when he said he loved being in the movie Django because he got to kill white people REALLY

6. Brian Roskamp Says:
    March 28th, 2014 at 7:23 am

Duck Dynasty is very refreshing in world that devalues families Duck Dynasty stands to make Family the most important part!! Showing how they Honor God!!

7. Kate Says:
    March 28th, 2014 at 7:23 am

When I first heard of this show I thought A. It would never last & B. Who would watch it? I soon discovered that most of my friends were watching and loving it so I gave it a shot and I am addicted! I think it is great that Jase & Missy are not hiding Mia and that they are getting publicity out there regarding cleft palate. The more people are aware, hopefully the more empathy there will be. Good luck Mia!!

8. Larry Z Says:
    March 28th, 2014 at 7:24 am

Ilove this show, even though this season’s episodes were not quite as entertaining. Great religous God loving family..I don’t agree with all Phil said, but he has a right to voice his opinion.

9. dave Says:
    March 28th, 2014 at 7:25 am

i love the robertsons & duck dynasty. i thought the season finale was awesome, esp the way jase & missy let their daughtere be on there. it was wonderful when they showed that the surgery went fine!!!!

10. Don Hilton Says:
    March 28th, 2014 at 7:30 am

I am a BIG fan of Duck Dynasty. I watch all the reruns. I’ll be looking forward to seeing Mia when the new new seasons begins.
    They are the only Real show on TV.

11. Suzie Says:
    March 28th, 2014 at 7:43 am

I’m 75 and I’ve never enjoyed watching anything on t.v. as much as this family and Duck Dynasty! I’m with you – I would watch it every night if it were on! Mia is a beautiful, courageous, little girl and I can see the Robertson “spunk” shine through her. I admire the family for speaking out on Mia’s condition and I think the “Mia Moo Fund” is great! Thanks, Robertsons, we love you all!

12. Philip Says:
    March 28th, 2014 at 7:56 am

I love the Robertson family, and that their Christian beliefs are something that they actually live, not just window dressing. It’s long past time for this country to accept that God needs to be placed back in firt place, not our desires.
    As for Mia, that is one tough girl!! And cute to boot! Can’t wait for next season to see how things have progressed.

13. David Says:
    March 28th, 2014 at 7:59 am

Great show, I love children and this last show sent tears to my eyes.
    I was raised a lot like Phil,5 other brothers and sisters, on a poor dairy farm in florida.We always had food , but no money.I have 4 kids and 5 grand children.Grandson Camron was born with arthrogriprosis, will be in a wheelchair all his life.He is 11 years old.
    I will pray for Mia and her recovery.We always are praying for your family.
    I also love to duck hunt,deer hunt,quail,you name it.
    Good luck with the show,we love it,thank you.
    We also love the Lord Jesus Christ.
    David

14. Joseph Brandon Says:
    March 28th, 2014 at 8:15 am

I love the Robertson family show and stand with them in their beliefs and ways. I am with Jase, I think it was a good idea to put Mia surgery on the finale show and not to be worried about it for any public scrutiny. Robertson family all I can say is keep being who your are and believing in the Lord and never change for anyone. Love you guys and gals.

15. Monnie Says:
    March 28th, 2014 at 8:47 am

Wonderful show, think this was the best this season. Need more real families, not only on tv, but in this country standing up for their Christian beliefs. Mia is a strong young lady and I hope everything goes well for her. Maybe all the interest in the show will let media know that there are a lot of people not interested in the terrible things offered in tv and movies these days. Looking forward to next season.

16. Louisiana Swamp Person Says:
    March 28th, 2014 at 8:59 am

My family and I were so busy we did not watch it when it was aired. We recorded it and watched it the next evening.

We support the eternal Word of God, and Jesus Christ, who is the word made flesh. Likewise and following, we support those who support them. We try to live accordingly as well.

God bless the Robertson’s one and all!

17. ellen Says:
    March 28th, 2014 at 9:13 am

i love this show, and everybody on it. i love how they are so loving, positive, and family oriented. the episode with MIA was great, and i appreciate them sharing. i was touched when Mia gave her speech, she did a great job. i never thought i would watch this show, and then i watched one episode and was hooked. i’ve even bought a t-shirt. as long as they keep GOD and family first they will be just fine.

18. Dave Says:
    March 28th, 2014 at 9:32 am

I love this family and other than eating with them I wish I were a part of there kin.

19. Me Says:
    March 28th, 2014 at 10:03 am

I Love the Robertson family and their TV show I have to say Phil does say things about he doesn’t want his grandkids to be nerds and then his interview that he talked about gay people. I was brought up to believe God doesn’t make mistakes and God made these gay people the way they are the same way he made so called nerds so maybe we need to start thinking before we say something .

20. Frank Altieri Says:
    March 28th, 2014 at 12:08 pm

One day, soon enough, EVERY knee shall bow before the One and Only Creator/Savior of this world. What Phil authoritatively, appropriately, stated is nothing more then the absolute truth of God’s written word. Amen and God Bless.

21. susan Says:
    March 28th, 2014 at 3:53 pm

They are a sweet family and I hope Mia heals fast from her operation. She’s such a cute and brave little girl, it was nice to see reality a little on the show. Although the wrestling I hope wasn’t!

I don’t think Chase’s father was offensive. He’s old school anyways. Think back 50 years and realize things were not the same as open and unbias as they were then. My mother in the 70s talked about stores that were still not serving blacks. We’ve come a long way in society, but don’t forget how a lot of people were raised. It’s not their fault they have older fashioned values. Although this has nothing to do with the comment, it was about religion.

Religion still in many religions does not accept homosexuality. It is openly outlawed in the bible that most people preach from. Yes, why would God make a child himself that he would not love, even if the child grew up to be gay, so not many people keep that as a rule.

I think GLAD just took opportunity and misused his statements. Even if he had made an anti-gay slur, he would have had the right to state his opinion without harassment.

I hope they ignore the bad media and come back for next season. Nothing was said offensive, it was a religious debate of the bible’s true wording.

22. Adell Wyckoff Says:
    March 29th, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Bless Mia with a speedy recovery. What a beautiful child, so unassuming and sweet. What I love about the Robertsons are their love of each other and their sense of humor. I do not love seeing animals killed or believe that the Robertsons hold all of the answers to life. However, they have the right to live as they please and the message that comes through loud and clear for me is LOVE. They shouldn’t be asked to comment on the major debates of our society, they are not scholars studying current events and social issues, they are entertainers. They saw an opening in reality TV for their redneck schtick and they took it. Great for them! They are not to be followed like religious icons because of their celebrity, but enjoyed for the ingenuity, humor and love of family featured on their show.

23. Donald mayle Says:
    March 31st, 2014 at 1:47 pm

We loved the last show it was beautful.I had two nieces that went through the same thing.But that was a long time ago.I’m retired from the army and the winchester police Dept I’ll be 77 the 14 0f April.Can’t wait for your next show LOL Donald

24. Alan Beardsmore Says:
    May 5th, 2014 at 5:26 am

We are just getting into Duck Dynasty. Love it.
    Alan. united Kingdom