Duck Dynasty’s Phil Robertson Blamed For Low Ratings

March 28, 2014 07:30 AM by Stephanie Gustafson

duck-dynasty-phil-robertson-blamed-low-ratings

Duck Dynasty recently ended its fifth season with one of its most touching episodes yet. The family showed its support as the adorable Mia Robertson pursued yet another cleft palate surgery. But in spite of all the praise on Facebook, the finale still performed abysmally when compared to the final episode for season four. Could continued fallout from the Phil Robertson controversy be to blame?

Several months later, Phil Robertson is still dealing with the backlash from the controversial comments he made in his fateful GQ interview. In spite of accusations related to homophobia and racism, the Duck Dynasty patriarch managed to maintain a presence on the popular reality series. Unfortunately, ratings for the recent season five finale were a huge disappointment, particularly when compared to the show’s performance at the end of season four.

Some fans are wondering whether the low ratings could be the result of continued boycotting from those still bothered by Phil’s statements. After all, a number of dedicated viewers changed their mind about the show in the aftermath of his controversial GQ interview. But other fans made it clear on Twitter that the debacle had convinced them to stand strong for Phil — they were glad to see a reality star speaking out on his Christian beliefs and they wanted more!

If nothing else, Phil still retains the support of his family. During a recent interview with CNN, his son Willie Robertson explained, “Anybody who knows [Phil] — any gay, straight, black, white — anybody who knows Phil knows that he is about love and his message is about God’s love, and God’s grace, and God’s forgiveness, ultimately.”

Do you think the Phil Robertson controversy is to blame for Duck Dynasty’s low ratings? Sound off in the comments section below!

MORE ON DUCK DYNASTY

Duck Dynasty Season Ends With Mia Robertson’s Surgery
Duck Dynasty Star Says Show Was Started To Spread God’s Word
Jase Robertson Talks About Mia’s Surgery

Photo Credit: A&E

Topics: A&E Reality TV Shows, Duck Dynasty |

10 Responses to “Duck Dynasty’s Phil Robertson Blamed For Low Ratings”

1. todd diven Says:
    March 28th, 2014 at 6:32 pm

hell no its what this soft ass liberal country needs more off
    army vet 2005-2011

2. Cameron Lane Says:
    March 28th, 2014 at 6:42 pm

OK, he stands for love while preaching hatred..duh, I call that being a two faced backslider..drinking, drugs and adultry! Yea, he has a right to judge me…NOT!

3. Jessabelle Says:
    March 28th, 2014 at 6:57 pm

I did not watch any of Duck Dynasty this season not because of Phil’s comments (I believe everyone has a right to their own opinion and I’m Ok with his) but because every time I turned it on, it was another BORING re-run. If they don’t come up with some new shows, there will be no show left to watch. I’m very disappointed, I liked them before all the re-runs were all that was on.

4. Willie Says:
    March 28th, 2014 at 7:00 pm

I doubt if Blacks and Gays were a large part of the base audience.
    I am not either and I stopped watching because the humor became repetitive,, I just lost interest. Which is probably true for most realty show unless there is a key element that changes on every episode, like the pickers and the car shows,, but even those will eventually run their course. It is still much much better than most of the family based shows when it comes to basic entertainment value…Woopie said she did not watch and made some derogatory comment…So?,, I doubt that the Robinson audience would watch anything Woopie….So?

5. richard dyer Says:
    March 28th, 2014 at 7:16 pm

only reason for low duck dynasty ratings – most cannot figure when new show air – i can only find reruns

6. phillip casteel Says:
    March 28th, 2014 at 8:13 pm

I think people respect phil but hate a&e. They are a Christian family with american values. I know its hard for you to understand this but in time you will.

7. linda g. Says:
    March 29th, 2014 at 7:30 am

Iam a big fan but this year to me seemed so planned out not to funny

8. BIBLE TRUTH Says:
    March 29th, 2014 at 2:53 pm

IT’S LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE AFTER SO MUCH IT IS HARD TO MAINTAIN THE HIGH….. THIS SEASON SEEMED A LITLE SCRIPTED AND PLANNED… STILL FUNNY BUT NOT AS AUTHENTIC…. LOWER RATINGS NOT BECAUSE OF PHIL BUT BECAUSE OF LACKING NEW MATERIAL THAT WAS AS GOOD AS THE OLDER STUFF…. MAYBE IF THEY HAD A GAY WEDDING THE RATINGS WOULD SKYROCKET. OBAMA MIGHT EVEN WATCH THAT EPISODE….

9. Cherie Jordan Says:
    April 3rd, 2014 at 9:54 pm

I tried to watch, but when Phil was on the screen I felt disgusted and changed the channel. He is a old fool and he lack of a progressive mindset. He is in denial of change which was evident in his opinion that blacks were better off when they stayed in their place. As long as he is in the forefront the series is tainted and seemingly represents the theories of the KKK and Aryan Nation. He tries to come off as a wise patriarch but he is just an old fool.

10. Duck Dynasty Fan Says:
    April 4th, 2014 at 4:30 am

New shows come on A&E on Wednesday night at either 9:00 or 9:30 pm. A&E does show a lot of reruns of DD. Of course no new shows unti new season.

Comments